1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Princo junk media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bratcher, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

These were the last 2 discs of a 12 disc DVD-R sample pack from Rima. All the discs burned & can be accesssed (as mp3 data discs) just fine except these two 4x Princo's. The first one (in my Plextor 716A) wouldn't finalize (rest of the burn was OK) & the 2nd disc burned great but won't work very well in the same drive that recorded it. I'm trying to copy the DVD back to the hard drive & half of it gives me CRC errors. Not only that but the disc goes up & down in speed. Trust me, I'll never buy Princo media after this bad experience! TY is the only way to go!!!

Thankfully I can save some of the MP3 files...

Other media in the sample pack was Ritek 4x, Ritek 8x (both burned at 4x & the rest at rated speed), Prodisc 8x, Optodisc 4x & TY both 4 & 8x.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Princo=crapco!

That's the usual issue of crappy media,Harder to re-rip them.

It looks like you learned your lesson on that sampler pack. Those optodiscs look a little fishy too,but the others look very good.Stick with the good stuff.
    Good Luck and burn on!

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i bought Princo's when i 1st started burning years ago, straight from Taiwan, they were claiming they were GRADE A media at the time, good thing i only purchased 25 pack, dvds were very expensive few years ago.

anyways, Princo in my opinion is bottom of the rung, they often times beat competitor's price by 50% at some outlets, but, you definitely get what you pay for. they are horrible, in my experience with them, even worse than the Cmags that everyone despises. i burned a dvd on a princo and only 2 months later when i tried to view it, NOTHING. completely rendered useless in 2 months time~!

i learned the hard way as well starting out, may i suggest some Taiyo Yudens or Verbatims? i have had absolutely no problems with either of those manufacturers.

good luck to you and to answer your initial question, YES princo IS junk media~

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Out of all the media in thast sample pack TY & Prodisc (in that order) seem to be the best as tested with Plextools. I'll stick with TY & MMC (MMC seems to be a good disc to burn)for all of my future DVD burning. Ritek is ok just don't burn it (including the 8x media) over 4x if you want good results.

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

I agree~ :) hahaha

anyways, the TY's are great from my experience too, whether it be the TYGO1s or TYGO2s and the YUDEN coded ones too.

the MCC coded ones are like i stated earlier, sold under the Verbatim label, made in taiwan, but, i have quite a few of the MCC003s 8x dvd-r by verbatim and they are a very close 2nd place to my Taiyo Yudens in terms of compatibility, burn quality, and playback.

you made a very good choice in those 2 medias, best of luck to you and burn baby burn.

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i apologize for the mistake in my last post...

the verbatims that i have with the MCC003 coding is DVD+r 8x (plus r)
    i have the dash r's as well under verbatim label and they code out as MCC 02RG20 and they work great as well, sorry for being unclear.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

kivory666,

I noticed that but wasn't going to say anything for such a little miss up, especially since MCC003 is such good media. I actually get better scans with them than I do with the YUDEN000T02's.

Mort

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hi mort,

yeah, i was just rereading what i wrote and in terms of dvd media the little mistake of a (-) dash and (+) plus makes a HUGE difference to many people. i just wanted to correct myself before anyone else did~ hehe.

i've had no problems with my MCC003's...i only state that they are a very close 2nd place to my TY's (only by a hair) due to the fact i use mostly TYs now for my burning. i don't have many of the Verbatims' left, but would like to get some more if they ever go on sale again. i'll just have to wait until best buy or some other store locally puts them on sale again.

good day to you my friend, burn on.