1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "Report an offensive post" not working?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by johns3304, Jan 17, 2005.

1. johns3304

johns3304 Guest

I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the "Report an offensive post" button and what should it display on the screen. In trying to use it, it simply takes me to another AfterDawn page that has nothing to do with reporting anything. Is it supposed to bring up a window to explain the problem? Or should it just bounce to another page and I should assume the report has been sent?

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

3. johns3304

johns3304 Guest

Thanks zippyd for the link. I read about one person who said they got bounced to the main page too... Someone else mentioned you had to be a member in order to use it. You said that explained it. But even as a member it is re-directing to that page and there is nothing else in the link that explains why it doesn't work. Do you have any other ideas?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The forum has been overwhelmed with posts since around Christmas. They have done a few things to try to help until they install new equipment soon. One thing they did was change the search feature from the normal forum search to Google. The forum still acts up at times with slow downs, double posts, and possibly the Report Offensive Post may be having problems also. Just bear with them until the updated equipment gets installed and things hopefully will get back to normal.

Jerry

5. johns3304

johns3304 Guest

I understand. Thank you.

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I think you've slightly misunderstood. Under your user name it says "Newbie" which means that you cannot use the report an offensive post button. If it said "Junior Member" under your name then you still could not use it. If it says "Member", "Senior Member", or "AfterDawn Addict", then you are allowed to use that feature.

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll look into this and either a) remove the "report" button from the users who are not allowed to use it or b) show an explanation on the reporting page explaining that only users with certain user level can make reports.

The original idea was basically to make our regular users "assistant moderators" by simply allowing them to help out mods by pointing out threads/posts that are in violation against our rules. And the reasoning for n00bs not to be allowed to use it was that a) someone who is angry at our site, would abuse the system and simply overwhelm the threads mods need to check b) we assume -- very unfairly, I know -- that most newbies don't have a good idea of our forum rules yet, thus they are not capable of knowing what is allowed in forums and what is not.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I guess I'm not too old to learn. I didn't realize there was a limitation on the usage for that. Very good idea though.

Jerry

9. skyline

skyline Regular member

hey this guy umer209 has 2 posts that have the same topic...

10. zippyd

zippyd Active member

If that is the case then go to one of them and click on the report an offensive post icon and and supply the link to the 2nd one and explain that it is a multi post....

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I've already closed two of his three threads via the PM I received.