1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ripping a SIN ???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lemyou, Nov 2, 2004.

1. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Is Ripping a sin?
    Apart from the warnings that making copies of Audio Video Entertainment is a serious violation of law and that the FBI will GITCHYA if you do it, the question is--- Is it immoral--- Is it a sin?
    We all remember the Warnings we got when attempting to record broadcast media on our VCRs, …well--- those old enough to have preceded the era of DVDs will know what I’m talking about. The demographics I speak of will also know of Father Guido Sadducee from Sat. Night Live--- or was it TW3??? No matter—
    If Father Guido had been asked if RIPPING is a sin, he would have answered thusly:

(Puff,puff---While standing in front of the Vatican as he lit a fresh cigarette from the stub of an expiring one)
    “ It is said that we must all pay for our sins,, (Puff—puff) and the seriousness of our sins will determine the punishment we must pay---(Puff-puff), So,,, let me put it this way (Puff), say, for instant that you KNOW your neighbor’s wife (puff-puff), and I mean the in a biblical sense, --- this would cost you $90—you see, this is serious, but not as serious as shooting your neighbor. (Puf-Puff-Puff, as he lights up another fresh cigarette from the butt of the one he just lit a moment ago.)
    Now,,,, how much would Ripping cost---? ---a nickel---maybe, ---you see, Ripping is not that big of a deal.

OK--- this brings me to another point: Back in the old days Ripping a movie to a VCR was simple, and it took no longer then the duration of the movie. SO--- why the hell is it now so complex and can take up to 11 hours???
    Seems to me that ---that--- is a hell of a price to pay for so small a sin!!

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LMAO :)
    Good one, lemyou.
    Yes Father Guido Sarducci (Don Novelo) will live in our collective memories forever...
    He was some piece of work, wasn't he?
    To copy a LVD (Laserdisk) takes 2 hours or whatever the disk is; real-time, y'know?
    To backup a DVD takes 14 minutes really, when you think about it, copying data approx. 10MB/second.
    You are then finished with the DVD.
    A two-pass DivX 5.2.1 encode, on 'slow' quality setting, then takes another 3 hours per pass, for me.
    Or, DVDShrink is much faster (~45minutes w/max quality and deep analysis).
    But the point is, while DivX (GordianKnot) runs, the DVD is gone and so am I - gone to bed!
    Well, figure-of-speech I know...
    They will NOT get me and the other 95% of the world's population, who are not American.
    We have the RCMP (and Interpol) for that ;)
    L8R
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  3. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Ahhh-yessss---
    As my Canadian ancestetors would have said: " Viva la France--- et les potat-frites"

LemYou ---AS in Lemieux --- as in Mario---