1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is ritek still good media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ChuckD, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

i've been hearing riteks quality has gone down. is ritek G04s still good and is ritek G05 any good?

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I also want to hear the replies to this question.

My experience has been Ritek RiData DVD+R coded RICHOJPN01 and DVD-R coded G05, both turned up nothing but errors. I burned both at 4x speed and set my target size to 4300. Burn went fine as normal. When ran through DVDINFOPRO nothing but errors.

Re-did the same projects on Maxell DVD+R coded RICHOJPN01. No errors when ran through DVDINFOPRO. I have had 2 bad batchs. Maybe just my bad luck.

3. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

i've been using Riteks G04 and G05's for a while now
    have burned about 100 of them with about 3 or 4
    coaster's (probably my fault) they are talked about a lot on this thread i'm very happy with them.

a lot of the problems with people "BURNING"
    they try to burn to fast..............from what i have
    read and learned on this forum.
    i never burn faster than 2X or 4X max

it's like anything else all DISK's are mass-produced
    your gonna get a few bad ones anyway.

Very happy with Ritek G04's and G05's,

my 2 cents

4. koaow

koaow Member

5. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I burn all my ritek G04 & G05 at 6x & 8x and never give me any problems playing. Must depend on the burner and you should never use your computer while burning.

6. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I burn all my ritek G04 & G05 at 6x & 8x and never give me any problems playing. Must depend on the burner and you should never use your computer while burning.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

you must be doing something wrong. you are the first person i have ever heard complaining about RICOHJPNR01 discs. i have burnt about 400 of these personally and have never had even 1 disc with bad kprobe scan. every one of them scan as good as taiyo yuden discs i have

8. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I do the same as always, burn low speed either 2.4 or 4x. Never more. I set DVD target size to 4300. I use NERO to burn. Antivirus and all others programs are shut down and I dont use the PC from the moment I hit the button to start the analize/encoding/burn process.

The same projects that got errors with the Ritek RiDatas were re-burned in the same way right after on Maxell DVD's coded RICHOJPN01 with no errors.

Take note I did say my Maxell's are also coded RICHOJPN01 and I have not had one coaster in over 600 burns using them. I burn the Maxell same way as I did the Ritek RiDatas. I got bad Ritek discs both times. I am sure of it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  9. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I've had better success with Ritek +R's than -R's. Recently bought 100 8X +R DVD's. No coasters yet.

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

RICOHJPNs are awesome. My Fuji, TDK, Memorex, and Ritek all used to be manufactured as RICOHJPN and I never had any problems with them. As for Ritek, I like them, maybe even more than the Verbatims I got recently. The Verbatims have a smooth finish which makes writing on with Sharpies difficult, and the reading surface seems to get scratched if you look at it the wrong way.

11. ps2jim

ps2jim Member

Where's a good place to pick up some Riteks at a great price??

12. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

13. eascoast

eascoast Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  14. ricster

ricster Regular member

I can only speak from experience but I've almost exclusively used G04s. I think I've had 2 coasters out of well over 100. I burn at 4x and never alter the target size. I've not noticed any defects in the viewable results...and believe me, when you've got small children you tend to use these backups over and over and over again. I'm sure I would have noticed something by now. I started off with Datasafe and then progressed to the more expensive Traxdata. To be honest I can't tell any difference. My main concern now is longevity. I'm waiting for the day that one of them starts to show signs of decay.

15. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

I have burned about 100 G04 at this point. Most of the burns play fine on my panasonic standalone. However, there very problematic on a toshiba stand alone player. I have run several of the burned media through DVDInfo Pro. Most discs have errors on them. In rare cases the copy could not be ripped and recoppied..

In my experience the branded Ritek Radata seem to playback with less problems then the non-branded versions of this media.

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you read through the post's on here and else where it would seem that Ritek has gone down in quality. This is unfortunate because you used to be able to count on them, but now it's hit or miss. The only media that seems to be 100% safe and reliable anymore is Taiyo Yuden lets hope they don't sway.

17. Gringle

Gringle Guest

yep the usual crap I keep buying and buying agin and agin

Some-Whur over the Rainbow...gringle

18. Gringle

Gringle Guest

gotta go back gringle mate a bought the original question gotta seek a compatable compemhise where I can subdue all those bleack guy's,.

who is is trying to kiss my heart t' hell, and not respond with like manner Nope at the heart of all these thing 'Birds gotta swim fish gotta fry LOLOLOL

19. RobertSB

RobertSB Member

Went through 100 G05's without a single coaster(8X burn). Burned about 25 G05's @ 12X w/ Pioneer A08XL still not a single coaster.

20. kgturner

kgturner Member

i bought a 100 G04 ritek ridata matte finish from supermedia. the vast majority of them will not play in my denon dvd player. i've made at least 15 coasters. they'll play on my computer, but not my dvd player. i bought a 3 pack of maxell and those worked just fine so i can only assume it's the ritek's. i just ordered a 100 pack of 8x ty dvd's. i'm gonna call supermedia and see if they take back the remainder of these ridata which i will likely never buy again after this experience.