1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Shrink too slow?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sean5775, Jan 5, 2005.

1. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I never gave this much thought but I seen this a few times over the past few days. Anyways my computer is a P4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB of Ram, Running XP, over 100 GB of free hard disc space, and No other applications running while I use shrink. I got an LG GSA4120B which seems to work just fine for me.

Anyways it seems to rip the DVD really fast. It takes about 25 - 40 Minutes to analyze, and about 1 hour and 50 Minutes - 3 hours or more to encode. and it takes about 15 minutes to burn at 4X.

Now this seems like at least the encoding process is maybe taking longer then it should be, but maybe I'm wrong, thats why Im asking.

And if this seems to be a little on the slow side, what suggestions might you have to improve this?

2. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

Seems awfully slooooooooooooow. For me, DVD Shrink analyzes in no more then 2 mins. ; encodes/compresses maybe 30 mins for full movie w/ menus, 10-15 mins for movie only ; burns using Nero in about 6 mins at 8x using Memorex 8x DVD+R media.
    Here are my system specs: Pentium 4 1400MHz,384MB RAM, XP Pro, Lite-ON 8x burner

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

check and make sure your data transfer is set to DMA and not PIO check out this thread and thanks to daba for posting it:http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/76265

@DVDeviant,very nice picture on your signature LOL

4. Pangloss

Pangloss Member

Sean I get numbers like yours, e.g. 2-3 hours to unencode/recompress a movie. Long enough that I haven't bothered to upgrade to a speedier burner. I just assumed that was the way it was supposed to go, but reading DVDeviant's post makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

5. Pangloss

Pangloss Member

BTW, mine is set for DMA, and it's a 2.5ghz P4 system with plenty of RAM and nothing else going on on the computer.

Part of the slowdown in my case may be because I'm using that extra quality setting in DVD Shrink. I guess not everyone needs to do that, but I'm looking at a 100-inch projected image and that tends to really amplify those little edge artifacts. (In fact I won't compress below 80% either.)

6. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I just did a test with reauthoring and writing just the movie only. The compression was 89.7% and the entire process took 1 hour and 27 minutes. which is by far the shortest yet but considering what I did It seems a little bit long. Im gonna check to see if my data transfer is set to DMA, and I believe I am using the extra quality setting in DVD Shrink. Im not sure but I got all the settings to what is suggested in scubapete's guide.

7. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I just checked it out, it was already set to DMA. So I guess thats not my problem.

8. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

DVDeviants time seem a litte fast if you are using deep analysis. sean5775 time do seem too slow. Mine times are around 10/15 to analysis and 20/25 to encode for a 70/80% compresion w/deep analysis and error compensation on max smoothness.
    Make sure you do not have other programs running in the background, check the task manager to what process are running. XP runs a lot of crap. Defrag- vids can make a mess of your files. You might try ripping w/DVD Decrypter in file mode. Then use DVD Shrink on the file and burn w/Decrypter.
    PS do you have the update on DVD Decrypter.

9. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ok I know I have nothing else running in the background at least very little anyways, my cpu usage is around 2% when Im not doing anything and there are actually alot of processes running. But how would I know what needs to be running and what does not? There are actually 34 items listed under processes, and only IE and device manager under applications, neither of which are open while backing up a DVD of course. Most of my processes that are running are under 200k each, except for IE and one called "svchost.exe" which is 32,644K but I have no idea what that is, so I don't know if I should end it or not? Any suggestions?

Also I should add that I do daily scans for spyware and viruses which I know can rob system resources and I havent had any of either for some time now.

10. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Oh yeah and I tried DVD decrypter just once and the whole process was even longer then with Shrink and NERO. I don't have the new decrypter because I have only used it once some time ago and since I basically found that as an unneccesary step I havent used it since.

11. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Forgot to asked do you have run in low priority selected in Shrink. It should not make a difference since your not running anything else.
    Here is a guide to some things you can turn off but it should not add that much. http://www.blackviper.com
    Have you defraged yet.

12. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

you can try this;
    a. Click Start
    b. Click Run
    c. In the box type msconfig
    d. Click OK
    e. Click on the Startup tab
    f. Click on Disable All
    g. Click on Apply
    h. Click on the Services tab
    i. Check the box for Hide All Microsoft Services
    J. Uncheck all boxes that have to do with your Internet Security and Antivirus
    l. Click Apply
    m. Click Close
    n. Click on Restart
    o. After Restart you'll have a System Configuration Utility box pop up, check the box for
    "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows Starts"
    and click OK.

To reset to normal
    a. Click Start
    b. Click Run
    c. In the box type msconfig
    d. Click OK
    e. Check Normal Startup - laod all ....

13. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ok I did give that a quick try and began backing up a dvd in shrink well with no intention of acutally doing it but just as a test, now I did this one for real a few days ago and the encrpting time was arond 3 hours and the analysing was time was about 35 minutes. I didnt notice anything different here. I also do have the low priority mode checked in shrink and I defrag the hard drives regularly with the last time being christmas eve.

14. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

What I meant to say was uncheck the low priority mode.

15. niiiccckk

niiiccckk Member

Takes me about 60 seconds to anazlyze it .. 20-30 encode and about 10-20 burn

16. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

Sorry..I should have clarified that in my earlier post. Those results of mine listed above were w/o doing deep analysis. I seldom run dvd shrink in deep analysis b/c I have never had a burned movie appear edgy , blurry, etc. with the standard analysis. The only thing that would change then would be the encoding time above. Probably add another 10-15 mins to that with deep analysis ON. I usually rip movie only also. That can cut your time down alot too.

17. Pangloss

Pangloss Member

I appreciate the feedback in this thread. I'll try the defrag and priority mode tips and check my other apps with msconfig as well. Thanks guys.

18. cyberia

cyberia Guest

Did u by any chance build the PC yourself ????

This may be way off the mark but u could change master/slave jumpers on dvd writer and hard disk.They hard disk might like to be the bitch in the relationship or v.v :)

Make sure u also have the high speed ide cables too.

19. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I built the PC myself and yes I do have a high speed IDE cable. I am not sure what the drives are set to but whatever combination I did was the only way they were all working and I played around with that as well since I also have a DVD rom and A CD-RW drive in there as well. I have to have the 3 drives because I prefer to use the DVD-RW drive for burning DVD's only.

20. cyberia

cyberia Guest

Whats your cpu usage reading when u are encoding ??