1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the EZ flash 3 in 1 my best choice for...

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Gman01, Jun 7, 2007.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

There is no soft-reset for GBA games on the 3-1.

To delete the frame go to _system_ on your MicroSD and look for a .bmp file called frame (or similar), simply delete the file. You can open it in Paint to check it's the correct thing before deleting.

2. Gman01

Gman01 Member

Thanks for the quick response. I deleted the frame and it got rid of it, but the actual view did not go full screen like I was hoping, and I can see the 3-in-1 app around the edges. Any way to switch to full screen for the GBA viewing area?

Thanks again!

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

This is a DS drawback, as the DS is basically in GBA mode it cannot display in fullscreen (no idea why) this is the same for even original GBA games on it.

I have always used a frame so didn't know the 3-1 app would still be showing, two ways to avoid this are:
    1: Use a black frame
    2: Load the game using the NOR option, then restart the DS (removing the M3 before powering on) and use the load GBA game option, this is still not full screen, but it will not show anything 'behind' the game.

4. Gman01

Gman01 Member

Ah, ok- I won't bother going through the trouble to remove it then. I'll just put it back and live with it. Kinda sucks that you suffer by having a smaller screen, but if it happens with original GBA as well, I guess there's not much that can be done.

Do you have any recommendations of where to get a black frame? it has to meet these requirements:

" Frames must be 8-bit or 24-bit bitmap
    files with a resolution of 256x192."

5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  6. Gman01

Gman01 Member

Works great and looks great. Thanks a million. On to some GBA goodness.

7. Gman01

Gman01 Member

Bah- not all smooth sailing. Some games save fine like Final fantasy 1+2, and Mario Tennis, but Golden sun and FF Tactics advance both get error messages saying that they can't detect backup or backup error. Any advice?

EDIT: DLDI patching the 3 in 1 homebrew seems to have worked.
    EDIT again: Golden sun still won't save "Unable to detect backup memory"

Is there any way of knowing which games will require NOR for the save to work and which will work with PSRAM before playing them and finding out the hard way that they won't save?

Ok, I'm having all kinds of problems which I can't figure out. Obviously I just don't understand how this works. I was under the impression that the save files were stored on the SD card, but I'm constantly losing the ability to restore saves, and the games can't seem to detect where they are supposed to save/retreive save data from.

Here is an example: I loaded the homebrew app for the 3 in 1 freshly patched and loaded FF Tactics into NOR. I launched it, played it for a bit until I could save, and I saved successfully. I turned off the DS, turned back on, and was able to continue from my save point in FF Tactics. Everything so far so good. Then, I turned it off again to try some tests and I loaded Final Fantasy 1&2 rom in PSRAM. I made my party, and saved that game, then turned off the DS. When I loaded FF Tactics back up in NOR mode (it was still stored so it loaded instantly) it would not let me resume and said there was an error.

I just have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Am I doing something wrong? Please help... I want to be able to play more than one game without losing all my saved data all the time.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  8. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Not sure about all you guys but the EZ-V is slow for me... takes a while to save the file to microsd once u turn it on then it takes time to write it ot the memory card to play n thise take awhile. I have those kingston japan memory card which is said to be the best, also tried changing the speed...o well w/e. it works

9. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

It could be that when playing games in PSRAM mode it effects the save file that is stored for the NOR game, I may test this later. I just use NOR mode for everything as my brother is constantly stealing my M3, that way I can at least carry on playing the game while he has the M3.

10. Gman01

Gman01 Member

I tested it out some today, and unfortunately, I'm more confused than ever. I'm no expert, but when you get a message saying "backup memory error" one minute, then power off, wait 10 mins, power back on and it is ok, it sounds like I might have a defect. It's the only conclusion I can come to after the bizarre way my 3 in 1 is acting. When you are playing a ROM in NOR mode, where do the saves get stored? My impression was that they were on the SD card, but it seems like they aren't because I keep losing my saves.

11. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I have been looking into the problem with this today, and have found something which will probably fix all these errors - you need to patch the games, I have downloaded the patching program but have not got round to using it.
    I just happened to be lucky that the few games I had tested worked without patching ¬_¬

Also, to answer your questions about saves in NOR mode, the game is saved to an onboard save chip, it stays on that until you change game where it should then copied onto your MicroSD.

Download here:
    http://www.ds-scene.net/forum/forum.php?topic=2815
    (registration required)
    "EZV 3-in-1 Ready Pack (Slot-1) v1.0 by Fumble"

12. mike10

mike10 Member

okay I just tried using that patching program

and the games that would not let me save will now let me do it without giving me any sort of errors

but if I go and play another game and then go back to playing a game that I was playing before all of the saves will be gone

I have tried backing up the save files using Rudolph's EZ flash 3-in-1

But that did not solve the problem

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  13. Gman01

Gman01 Member

I'm not going to celebrate yet, but I think the patching might have worked. I have successfully saved, and reloaded from save in 2 different games (Golden Sun and FF1+2) I'm going to try out Tactics now but this is looking good. By the way, everything has been tested in PSRAM mode, since most of the ROMS I'm playing work in that mode. I noticed Mario 3 does not. It is a 1 MB flash and must be loaded in NOR. Isn't that one of the ones that was giving you problems mike10?

14. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Have you created a folder named 'GBASAVE' I assumed you had so forgot mention it.

If you still can't get save to work try this download:
    http://rs92l3.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?rsuploadid=289878923771705141

This is straight of my microsd and I know that it does backup saves (tested with Zelda: LTTP, Zelda: Minish Cap, Kingdom Hearts)

EDIT: This post was aimed at mike10. Gman01 posted while I was typing :p

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  15. mike10

mike10 Member

okay I ended up reformatting my memory card and then copying everything back onto it

And everything now seems to be working fine

16. Gman01

Gman01 Member

Wow what a seemingly complicated little gadget. My saves all got corrupted, so I'm back to square one pretty much.

I had Golden Sun, FF Tactics, FF1,2 and FF4 all saved (at the start of the game for test purposes- no time invested) and I was playing them all in PSRAM mode. This was Friday night. I didn't use the DS Saturday, but my wife did use it to play with Brain Age. Sunday, I tried to use the GBA functions and my FFT:A save file is gone, Golden Sun is corrupted, FF1,2 is gone, and FF4 is still there. I have no clue what the heck is going on.

17. mstngo

mstngo Member

I can not get phantasy star collection to recognize the save file for it.

Other games work without a hitch though, like any FF and super mario world.

These are the only games I have tested any one have any ideas??

I have rudolphs latest firmware too, great app and worth the 20 bucks for the ez flash 3 in 1

18. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

mr hanky, i have a question

i dldi patched my Rudolphs 3 in1 ExpPack Tool program and ezflash client patched my pokemon games (sap and fire red) now say i have pokemone fire red in nor mode and i want to put pokemon sapp in instead. i do the usual copy selected game to nor mode. however, when i try to change it to pokemon sapp, after it is done writting, it still shows pokemon fire red in the current save slot of the nor mode. do you have any incling on whats wrong?

19. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I just got my EZ-Flash 3-1... I don't know if its been the 6 hours of sleep I've gotten over the past 72 hours or if I'm just inept at this device but I can't get it to work to my liking. I want to run Zelda: Minish Cap but It won't let me save (gives me an error saying data corrupt) I have the game installed in the NOR and it boots up fine but it won't let me create a SAV file. Does it need to be patched? I ran Doom before I ran Zelda which seemed fine an I believe it saved too so I'm at a loss. Anyone got any advice?... *slowly turns and looks at mr_hanky*

EDIT: Never mind, I believe I've fixed the problem.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  20. jc_cc_275

jc_cc_275 Member

I am having problems with creating a SAV file for Pokemon Pinball with my EZFlash 3-in-1 (along with R4). The message I get is "SAV file not found; delete the SAV file?". The name of the file in the current SRAM SAV file says "POKEPIN R/S BPPE.SAV". I tried creating it manually but becase of the slash "/", I cannot do it. GBATA says I don't have to patch it.

Can anyone help here?

Also, can GBATA be used to patch clock based game such as Pokemon?

Thanks in advance for your help.