1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is their any DVD backup program that will......

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by derryl, Mar 20, 2004.

1. derryl

derryl Member

Is their any DVD backup program that will copy a movie that is already in 6.1 (Gladiator). By this I mean make the backup 6.1 sound??????

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Take your pick. They will all do that.

3. derryl

derryl Member

I just didn't see the option in shrink. Only 5.1! But then again it wasn't with Gladiator being backedup. Does this option appear when a Original DVD is inserted into DVD Shrink?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The case for Gladiator lists the DTS track as being 6.1 but Shrink lists it as "DTS 5.1". It's possible Shrink just uses "DTS 5.1" for DTS tracks in general, but I can't say for sure.

Maybe someone else can shed a bit more light on this :)

5. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

As long as the disc is recorded in 6.1 discrete channel sound, it should show up as 6.1 in DVD Shrink (I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure, I don't have any dvd's in 6.1 discrete sound format to check).

The only problem is not many of the 6.1 sound formats are actually "discrete", they're actually made up of 5 channels using a matrix decoder to produce a third surround channel from two.
    So that's why most "6.1" format dvd's in shrink will show up in shrink as 5.1

Oriphus wrote a great post explaining sound formats if you want to know more:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/76026

6. derryl

derryl Member

With this particular DVD it shows up as 6.1 on my Harman Kardon AVR525 receiver.