1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a better way to do this?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Aethenoth, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Aethenoth

Aethenoth Member

Hey,

Sorry the title was so vague, but I found that curiosity usually gets the better of you and thus, my questions are answered faster. Anyway, getting down to it.

I recently purchased a external lunchbox Lite-on DVD writer (works great...finally) and have mostly used it to back up the countless episodes of anime that I have (all unlicensed until recently) Pretty much all of the eps format are .avi's. I have almost every authoring and encoding tool, but mostly use Nero, since it does everything at once, but now im getting erked (sp?) because the most recent encode/author/burn took exacly 5 hours 14 minutes and 15 seconds...I dont know if im making a big deal, but HOLY S***! It was a 2 piece movie already in .mpg format, so I didnt think it would take so long, but it took longer than the other one (by about 2 hours T.T) ...Long story short, I NEED to know if there is a quicker way to back-up all of my anime. I haven't even made a dent on it yet. (4 DVDs and about 120GB left...) I know encoding and authoring is a tedious process, but I cant stand knowing it will take an eternity to back it all up...Im at a loss for what to do. If it was just on a DVD it would be quicker, i know, but they are all .avis on my computer. I hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long read!)

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I use two converting programs. Tmpeg and Cucusoft. The one thing I think that nero won't do is let you setup a list of thing to be converted then you just let it run. I find that if you leave a list of movies to convert over night it goes quicker or at least seems to go quicker.

Of the two I find that the Cucusoft converter converts the fastest but Tmpeg has more options thats why I have both of them.

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If they're already mpg, just author and burn, no need to re-encode (which is what Nero is doing).

4. Aethenoth

Aethenoth Member

Alright, thanks a bunch