1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a difference between dvd shrink & decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by eltipton, Apr 16, 2005.

1. eltipton

eltipton Member

im in my first attempt to burn a dvd. i dl'd dvd shrink and i've been reading a few posts here. just wondering if theres a difference with shrink and decrypter? or am i going to need both to be able to burn a dvd? thanks so much

2. eltipton

eltipton Member

also, maybe if could give me a run down on how to do this i have a toshiba satellite laptop, windows xp pro, a plextor px-716UF dvd burner, and roxio software. do i need the decrypter to burn? or can i just use the shrink, then use the roxio dvd burning software to burn the dvd?

3. colw

colw Active member

Yes - DVD Decrypter is essentially a ripper to remove protection and can burn ISO files.

DVD Shrink can rip but is not as powerful as DVD Decrypter and has not been updated for some time. The main function of Shrink is to compress ripped files to fit on a standard DVD5 disk (4.7Gb). DVD Shrink does not burn.

For over 95% of movies around, DVD Shrink is fine - it will rip and compress. For some of the newer releases with ACRoss protection it is necessary to use DVD Decrypter first and then if necessary run through Shrink to compress.

Many people on these formums do not like Roxio but you should be able to use it to burn your DVD.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Personally, I prefer to set DVD Shrink to burn with DVD Decrypter automatically when the movie is done in Shrink.

5. trock0002

trock0002 Member

I second that squizzle