1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a difference in quality of movie with different writing speeds

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by asystole, Jan 28, 2005.

1. asystole

asystole Member

Easy questions for those probably but for me i see no real difference in writing at 8x or 4x other than time it takes to write. So is there a difference in quality of movie with different speeds????
    thanks in advance for you response
    asystole

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

theres not but you will probably get more coasters writing at the faster speeds.so whats a few mintues to get less coasters.

3. asystole

asystole Member

i do believe slower is better for me. I dont mind the time. I guess i prefer quality vs quanity. Just wanted to know if there was a difference really. hey thanks for reply aabbccdd
    asystole

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  4. donks007

donks007 Member

Hi,
    Well, the quality of the film depends on the bitrate of the file , not the burn speed. From experience, I have found that burning at 8X works every time IF you use a good quality disc and not a cheapy. My drive will burn Datawrite Silver platinum all day at 8x without a hitch but the bulkpaq orange 8x is a hit and miss affair. It really depends on the quality of the DVD disc and the Burner. A decent burner with a good quality disc will burn 8x reliably. I guess you need to decide if you want speed or expense. I personally go for speed as the datawrites are only about 10 pence (UK) dearer each anyway. Good Luck.

5. asystole

asystole Member

hey thanks donks007
    well really i dont have a problem with media i dont believe. I dont buy top of line media (ritek or verbatim sometimes memorex) i hadnt seen no real difference in burning speeds so i was just curious. its mainly when i back up a movie i like i use 4x but if its a kids movie ill use 8x so just curious if it was making a difference in quality, thus far (with two replys)it seems it dosent. Thanks for your reply.
    asystole

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  6. donks007

donks007 Member

Yo Dude, do you know anything about hardware?
    hvae a dvd drive problem

7. asystole

asystole Member

a know a little ,but by no means expert. have put in a few and removed a few. My specialty is the human body...

8. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

The rule of thumb is, with quality media, burn speed doesnt matter, with crap media, it might be better to burn slower. That's one of the things that makes quality media quality, you can burn at high speeds. For instance, I've burned more than 100 Taiyo Yuden 8x's at 12x or 16x. Flawless as always.

9. asystole

asystole Member

Balaam
    AHHH HAAA, now i see said the blind man. SO better quality dvds at higher speeds will be as good as lower dvd qaulity at slower speed. To be then if i used better quality at lower speed or high speed ill see no change?
    thanks for responding
    asystole