1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a free menu building program?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sadsac, Mar 2, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I have a digital video camera and I want to transfer my home movies from the MiniDV tapes onto DVD. First of all, I need to know what program to use for that. I have Pinnacle studio 7 I believe.

My main question is about building a menu for them. I'd like to split the videos into chapters and create a menu for each event, such as baby's first birthday, baby's first Christmas, etc. Maybe even do one of those menus with the video preview box for each event.

Is there a free program out there to do this? If not, what program could I use and how much would it cost?

I haven't really used the Pinnacle software to know its capabilities.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nero Vision Express will do what you are asking and you can download a fully operational 30 day trial from Nero. If you check out an earlier post of mine I provided a little get started guide on using NVE
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/164811

Good Luck :)

3. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Is there a free program out there for doing the menus?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not that I am aware of, But NVE is a free 30 day trial.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Any authoring software has usually a section for putting a Menu at the beginning of your DVD !

Try to find DVD authoring in google and add to your search +FREE

here's an example of what I found :-

http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2005
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

umm umm ^^^^ that proggy doesnt allow you to put menus on the DVD. It does however convert an MPEG to DVD compliant file... There are a bunch of free proggys out there that do that, but I havent seen or googled onto one that will let you do menus, sounds and stuff. If anyone does know of one though I sure would love to know where to get it? Please? Dang Jeanc1 you had my hopes up :)

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That could very well be ! -- I just showed you that by using Google you may find what you are looking for !

I use Nero myself and have all the menus I need..! but it ai'nt FREE.

If you have Pinnacle Studio v.9 -- it has all the menu creations facilities.

8. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

hey guys,

everyone one is looking for free software, and what you find on the net is all trial versions, which expires after days, but what i don't understand is this?! has anyone did hear about cracks and serials ? i mean come on !!! or is it illegal to talk about these stuff ?!
    anyway .. about your question sadsac, i recommend you Nero Vision Express Ultra, i know it's a trial version, but i can supply you with the serial number if you want !!
    just let me know !!

9. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

hi Jeanc,

listen, i tried downloading the software DVD Author 0.6.11 and i can't seem to find the installation file, all what i see is just files, no file to run the software or the installation !!

what's that about !?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

SerpPsych,
    I'm sure everyone has heard of them, but the simple fact of the matter is as long as people like you exsist out there then a lot of those programs are going to become extinct. They offer the trial version's so you can take it for a test drive to see if you like it, and if you do why not pay for it? You are only hurting the people that create the software for your use I'm sure they put a lot of time and effort into creating these programs for you, and IMO they deserve some compinsation. You are basically a thief and if you stole from a department store or anyother store you would be prosacueted. Then to come on this forum and suggest to people to do the same is ridiculous.
    It's times like this I wish I were a moderator!!

11. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

Dear bbmayo,

i think you got me wrong here, look, i know that these companies are making alot of effort to make these software avilable for consumers, i would like to mention that i'm a computer programmer and i write software for a major company, now this is not the point, but, my point was this !!

When you buy a DVD writer, you get a free disk of burner software which i mean here "Nero".
    now!! trust me when i say this my friend, it's all paid for by the company who manufacture this drive, so technicaly, the Nero lose nothing, and you get a full serial number that can allow you to update your software from the internet. when i mentioned that i can supply the serial, it's because it's for free, and the guy who asked for it, for sure he has a writer, and for sure he got a burning software like the nero for free with it.

and when i mentioned cracks, i meant that there are many websites that offer cracks, but i will never supply a crack or provide it to anyone, i do crack software sometimes, but for my own benifits, i was offered many jobs to make alot of money by cracking software, and i refused.. so please don't accuse me for something that you misunderstood.

thank you

SerpPsych

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OHHHHH

Sorry, but the way it was wrote wasen't very confusing at all. It sounded like you were telling people to illegally get the cracks and serial numbers for there software. I am sorry if I understood that wrong, but how many others were going to understand it the same way I did?? Again sorry for accusing ya :)

Peace

13. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@SerpPsych

bbmayo asked ""umm umm ^^^^ that proggy doesnt allow you to put menus on the DVD""

Read the post that follows : [bold]That could very well be ! -- I just showed you that by using Google you may find what you are looking for ![/bold]

DVD Author 0.6.11 is a project --

Writing a front end to use this , should be an easy task.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  14. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

Hi bbmayo

no need to apologize !! forget it :)
    i just have one question for u here !!

have you ever tried copying a movie to a dvd and creating a menu that has subtitles and other special features and actually succeeded !?

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah plenty with Nero Vision Express

16. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

that's nice ..

but !! how do u add subtitles using nero express !! does the express really do that !??

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Oh subtitles I missed that.. No I don't believe it will do sub titles.. Sorry :)

18. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

it's ok .. thanx anyway :)

19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ SerpPsych

Offering serials is a great way to get banned so let's not do that again. Read the forum rules like you should've in the first place.

20. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 is a great DVD authroing program and it has built in menu building program. It is shareware but you can always get a crack. ;)