1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a HDD DVD Recorder that records in DivX avi format

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by PizzaSub, Feb 6, 2007.

1. PizzaSub

PizzaSub Member

I have 2 different HDD dvd recorders, a Toshiba and an ilo. The ilo is acting up and I plan to replace the dvd drive.

I want to step up to what I really want....a hdd based recorder that will record in a standard Divx avi format. I want to be able to move the files directly to my pc if possible. I have a 40 gig usb drive for file transfers.

So, is there a DVD recorder with the following features:

HDD (at least 80 gig)

records from source and writes DivX avi files to either the HDD or direct to dvd+-r

can write saved files to dvd in standard dvd format so disc will play in standard dvd player (no DivX support)

would also like a usb port to move files, but not a requirement. DVD+-RW's will do if usb is not available.

2. jase

jase Guest

Hi,

Have a look here, this might be ideal for you:

hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDD-Digital-Video-Recorder-Player-DIVX-XVID-MP4-DVD_W0QQitemZ230092243251QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's not a DVD recorder, rather it's a 2.5" USB drive that can record/playback in DiVX format (and can playback unencrypted VOB files as well, as well as MP3). I have the playback-only version of this and was thinking of upgrading, as it looks like one cool gadget :)

I believe there is a 3.5" version as well for more money. If you have a spare drive kicking about (and a PC with DVDRW drive), this would represent a DiVX recorder for the price of the most basic DVD recorder.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  3. PizzaSub

PizzaSub Member

Two main reasons I would not buy that:

1) No tuner. I want to set it to record certain shows every day/week.
    2) No reliable review. It does look like a neat item...but without someone testing it I am not interested.

Thanks for the reply though!