1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a kind of AVI fixer?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by isomaster, May 7, 2003.

1. isomaster

isomaster Member

hi guys

when i look at some of my avi files on my harddrive they are sometimes blocky in appearance i mean they play fine but every so often the frame will freeze for a sec then keep playin or go blocky then still play
    the problem comes when i process the avi to mpg2 format to put in to a dvd authoring software iv burned loads and a few freeze while playing on the dvd thus putting the sync of the audio and video out by a sec or 2
    just wondering if there was a software that scans or fixes the avi's for errors b4 hand done a search on google but could only find an avi fixer which didn't work well

Thank Guys

Graham

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

IMO something that is bad stays bad.
    Never heard of some kind of proggie that can make a blocky pictured avi to lets say DVD quality or so....

3. JimmyX

JimmyX Member

I can usually improve the quality from bad to decent/good with v-dub. Drag and drop avi into v-dub, select video->Filter->add->brightness/contrast and tweak for your situation. Then select video->compression(try a different codec, divx works great for this purpose if not already encoded). Last, video->full processing mode(should be the default setting anyway). Then File->save as avi. I've gotten some amazing results using this simple process and sometimes it really doesn't help that much, about 80%.
    Often a viewing "freeze" problem occurs because the CPU gets temporarily overloaded. Most viewing software programs load up your processor, this is especially noticeable if your >1GB. The blockyness can be caused by a number of things (especially poorly joined points in the vid) and is probably permanant.
    If anyone has other techniques like this to share please do so, as this is why I came to this thread. Thanks

4. urlybird

urlybird Member

Last edited: May 17, 2003
  5. JimmyX

JimmyX Member

I just downloaded AVImedic. I guess it's worth having. It's very simple to use, but will only correct bad spots if detected and does not improve overall quality.

6. Messa

Messa Member

I use both AVIFixed and DivFix, as both seem to have good and bad results.

For obvious reasons use them on a backup of your file.

And as someone pointed out, you cannot recreate bad frames, if its bad it stays bad, re-encoding just re-encodes a bad frame.