1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a program that stops from burning a burned copy?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by iburndvds, Oct 2, 2007.

1. iburndvds

iburndvds Member

I heard there was a program to stop others from burning your burned copys....anyone know what its called?

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

it's called don't loan your copys out to your friends, also why should you care if your friends make a copy of your copy anyway?

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

"DVD Download" or "QFlix." The user pays for a download of a video and records the program on a disc pre-keyed with the CSS code. This requires special media, a special drive, and special software.

4. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Nice info on the QFlix & DVD Download! First time I heard of those. If there is demand for this, I should start my own business and author copy prevented corrupted discs for people as a service.

CSS won't work. That has been cracked a long time ago, so any DVD ripper out there can get through it. That's why $ony and such created their corruptions.

Now, when you say burned copies, do you mean of commercial DVDs, or of your own content? You can author DVDs with something like CPPM or CGMS or something like that (I forget what it's called)... That limits the number of copies that can be made and you can set it to 0. Not much hardware enforces it, but it will provide basically the same protection as CSS.

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The downloaded copies are certainly going to be CSS-encrypted, and I guess that one could always encrypt one's own video files in order to protect them. The sophistication required for purchasing the correct media, drive, and software, however, exists only among those who have already by-passed CSS encryption and find it little more than a nuisance.

This is tantamount to allowing the general public to purchase 500-hp engines to install themselves in their own cars, but the engines all come with speed limited to 80 kph or 50 mph. Why would anyone who can install an engine want one with silly and easily removable restrictions? (The real market is for kiosks that can download movies on demand that include CSS rather than stock thousands in inventory.)

Drive manufacturers will be big promoters of "DVD Download capable drives" simply because they have run out of rational features once they went beyond 16X. "DVD Download capability" will be the latest must-have feature for new drives. Don't fall for it or pay a penny more for such a "feature." The only advantage is that such a drive will be able to play DVD Download media. Most DVD players will be able to read such discs, but no present recorder or burning drive will be able to play them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

That's interesting. I see DVD Download drives becoming popular (not with me, but with general public). So these drives would actually download the movie and burn it to special media? I wonder, how long it would take to finish each movie?

7. iburndvds

iburndvds Member

I dont think you guys understand what im saying,my buddie told me about a month ago they make this simple program that lets you burn a dvd ,but as for others being able to do so with the same disk.its next to impossible. and i tested the theory,and it was impossible.

But now i no longer talk to this person,anyone out there heard of this simple program?

8. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

if this program was that good, that it would make it next to impossible to copy a disk. don't you think that the recording studios would put this on the disks, that they put out to the public to keep people from making a copy of the disk?

9. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

You might be talking about DVD Copy Protect. That's been broken already by Blutach (pretty sure that's his name). Also, that program does something to the file structure that makes the discs unplayable in some players.

You can add a better corruption manually. I made one myself a while back and it's still in my opinion better implemented than the stuff you see on commercial discs. I won't give any guides on how to do this though, so don't ask... If this is your own movie, that you own the rights too, I can consider authoring it for you with some corruption but I can't do it for free cause it is rather time consuming and if you would want multiple copies, there is no way to automate the process...

10. iburndvds

iburndvds Member

yes i want it ! i do wedding and these people only are buying 1 copy and having others burn it themselves saving them money and me losing.i need help ty

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

12. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Like I said, DVD Copy Protect lowers disc compatibility. I forgot exactly what it does, but if it doesn't work on a DVD player, then you will have to give a refund or make another copy with no corruption. I tried the software out and I couldn't create an image that worked on anything...

Remember these are not really copy protections, they are disc corruptions. The only thing that was really a protection was CSS and analog macrovision because they did not corrupt the file structure or the movie, just those provide almost no protection.

Encryption will not work. You can easily encrypt the contents of the disc with your own algorithm or some open source one, but the DVD players will not have the decryption keys and the discs will be unplayable. CSS will not work because you have to license CSS and it can be broken by any DVD ripper.

Dummy sectors like $ony corruption can work, but I do not know of any way to automate the burning of dummy sectors. It is possible to replicate $ony's corruption and create an ISO with it, but once it goes on a disc, the corruption goes away. I know how to put it on DVDR, but like I said, it is time consuming so there is no way I would be able to do it for free.

Now, how many wedding videos do you normally sell per wedding and about how many weddings do you do? Also about how much do you charge for your service and each additional video? Do you film the wedding yourself or do people bring you their wedding videos and you encode DVDs out of them? You can answer those questions in PM if you want. It is possible I can figure something out for you.