1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a program to tell how fast a DVD was burned?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scooter07, Jul 8, 2007.

1. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

I've only recently discovered that if you burn at 4x the DVD is more likely to be read by all DVD players instead of just the newer ones. Therefore I have several I've burned at 12 or 16x that cannot be read by my older players and would like to rewrite them at 4x. Is there any program or any way to scan a disc to tell how fast it was written, instead of trying to load each disc in the old player? I would rather load them all in my pc to check as some can be read by the older players, only to fail when you fast forward or try different menus and it would take some time to preview all the discs. Thanks.

2. terryn0

terryn0 Member

Im pretty sure (and i may be wrong) that you can't check how fast a DVD or CD was originally burned. Now, most programs will tell you right after you burn a disk, what the average burn speed was. Other than that, no, you cant tell.

3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

no you can't tell after its burned

you can use nero quality scan tool to scan the disc to see what shape the dvd is in

4. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

I have used the Nero CD/DVD Tool to scan the disc but it even showed one was in good shape yet I couldn't rip it back to my hard drive or copy the DVD without getting an error. And it DOESN'T have any copy protections.

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

have you tryed using dvd decrypter ISO read ISO write

6. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

Yes I have, still get the read write error. See my other post about being able to rip it with DVDFab (8 Hours) but then after burning another copy it plays but has digital noise errors (The random blocks on the video).

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you try changing a couple default setting in dvd decrypter?

Tools/Settings:

CSS tab-tick brute force
    I/O Tab- tick ignore all read errors on the lower right corner.
    OK

Then ISO read and ISO write.

See if it'll let you rip to the harddrive after changing those default settings. Sometimes I get lucky that way.

That is true on most dvd-rw drives and a general rule of thumb,but the opposite with quality dvd-rw drives and quality media like Verbatim. My Benq backups show more errors with the slower burning when using Verbatim MCC004 media. More errors=higher chance of playback issues and even re-ripping can be impossible.

You make your 1st copy crappy,then you'll get another crappy copy later when re-ripping or worse- CRC errors.

What blank media are you using? MID code would be helpful.

What's the brand name,model #,and current firmware version of your dvd-rw drive?

Sometimes a firmware update is needed to properly instruct your dvd-rw drive how to correctly burn your blank media.

8. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

I'm using Memorex printable DVD-Rs. Drive is a Dell HL Dual Layer DVDRW drive. It's firmware is up to date as far as my update manager software tells me because there is none newer available. How do you determine firmware version otherwise?

9. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

check here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

memorex isn't your best choice of media either stick with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim

someone makes that drive for Dell so you need to find out what brand it really is

10. scooter07

scooter07 Guest

Yeah, that's what I've read that Memorex isn't the best. However with slower burning, I've had no problems with them. But, if they deteriorate over time, I obviously want the media to last, so I will try Taiyo Yuden next time. The drive is an HL brand as I wrote next to Dell. It is not listed on that page. How can I determine firmware version DVD Identifier is no help and my Nero Infotool won't run and gives me a runtime C++ error.

11. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

try using dvd decrypter

click Tools then Drive and go down to Check for Firmware Update

[​IMG]