1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a simple way to burn a dvd with vob files?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by vlad, Aug 6, 2003.

1. vlad

vlad Member

i have read everything i could find regarding this issue and i am still confused. i have vob files created by smart ripper 2.41. is there a program whereby i can edit out any of the vob file content that i don't want and make an mpeg2 file with the rest? i'm familiar with the flask to showbiz to mydvd method but it seems awfully cumbersome. have lots of memory being eaten by large vob files which i would like to condense and ultimately burn onto a blank dvd without losing much quality.

thanks much

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Try Ulead Movie factory or TMPGEnc DVD Author, which use

3. vlad

vlad Member

hi - thank you for the response. i'm afraid that part of it was cut off.

thanks

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sorry bout that. What i was saying was that if you have them in VOB format, you can run them through TMPGEnc DVD Author and select the VOB's you wish to add to the list. Then you can compress in DVD Shrink to a size you wish. On actually editing out parts, i haven't done that as i usually deal with DVD Movie

Chris

5. vlad

vlad Member

hi chris - i tried the free trial download of moviefactory2. i didn't have any success importing the vob files.

the vob files are created through smartripper 2.41. when i use the 'import dvd' function in moviefactory2, it does not recognize the presence of these files at all. if i use the 'add video' function, the 'open video' function will not recognize the files until i hit the 'browse button'. at that time, they appear in that window. when i try to open the file, i get a 'file format mismatch' message.

i'll see if i have better luck with the other program.

thanks
    john

6. vlad

vlad Member

hi chris - i tried the free trial download of moviefactory2. i didn't have any success importing the vob files.

the vob files are created through smartripper 2.41. when i use the 'import dvd' function in moviefactory2, it does not recognize the presence of these files at all. if i use the 'add video' function, the 'open video' function will not recognize the files until i hit the 'browse button'. at that time, they appear in that window. when i try to open the file, i get a 'file format mismatch' message.

i'll see if i have better luck with the other program.

thanks
    john

7. vlad

vlad Member

i tried TMPGEnc DVD Author and succeeded in importing the video but not the audio. i'll keep trying but would appreciate any ideas that you might have.

thanks

john

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Without audio, strange! Rip with DVD DEcrypter and then use TMPGEnc DVD Author again. It should work. The audio will be contained with the VOB files you add.

9. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

Vlad,

I'm not sure what you are going to do converting VOB to MPEG2. Anyway, you can use DVDShrink for very basic editing. You can cut out all extras and just take the movie. And within a movie you can set start and end points. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]gkrshnn[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  10. vlad

vlad Member

hi - appreciate the response. i thought that to eventually burn a dvd, ultimately my vob files would have to be converted to mpeg2. if that is correct, i thought that by converting them now [w/o burning a dvd] that i would use much less memory than the vob files require.

thanks
    vlad

11. vlad

vlad Member

sorry - this was sent in error and now i can't seem to eliminate it.

12. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

I really don't think so. If you have an MPEG2 file, you'll have to mux it before burning. If you have VOB files, you just burn the whole VIDEO_TS folder as "data."

13. vlad

vlad Member

sorry for naive questions. when i use smartripper 2.41, i don't seem to get a video_ts folder.

also, what is 'mux".

thanks

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can create your own VIDEO_TS fodler by right clicking >> Add new folder. then put the files inside it ;-)