1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a trick to backup GTA Vice City?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by toolband, Feb 4, 2003.

1. toolband

toolband Guest

Everytime I have tried to back up GTA Vice City, (4 times now), it will not work properly for me. I am using memorex dvd-r media, I have a pioneer dvr a05, and i have tried using both alcohol and nero. with alcohol i can only copy disc at once and withing the first ten seconds it fails. Nero copied it no problem, but when I put in the game, it loaded up until just after the intro movie and then it froze.
    Any Suggestions

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

What mod chip do you have?

3. abone9

abone9 Member

I have the same problem. I have a version 7 with a magic 3.6 I have tried several different kinds of media but still no luck. It gets to the game loading screen and about half way through on the dude with the co-cheese looking glasses it freezes. I think it is a media problem but am running out of options. I own the game but I know my kids will destroy it.

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

Does it freeze on the original now ?
    If so you probably have a Magic 3.0 not 3.1

5. abone9

abone9 Member

In my case my original doesn't freeze. Any suggestions on a Media I should try?

6. toolband

toolband Guest

I have the magic 3 ( i don't know what version as I did not install it).

7. toolband

toolband Guest

I tried using a pioneer dvd-r and gta is working fine now.
    I don't understand why the memorex would not work.
    Here is another question.
    I have a backup of ssx tricky, it worked perfect every time (not one problem loading ever). when i put a label on the disc, it freezes at the load screen.
    Why?

8. dani66613

dani66613 Member

can someone please assist me with this buring of ps2 games.

9. kdavid

kdavid Member

GTA VC seems to be particlarly sensitive to media. I have had success with Pioneer DVD-Rs. I used some cheap discs and it had to pause to load all the time and it crashed sometimes.

I am using a version 5-6 with a Messiah though.

10. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

gta vice city works fine for me on a v7 ps2 with magic 3.1 no lockup or freezing!! not trying to brag or nothing!!! try to copy your games at 1x the speed and write and the minimum speed! it might take a little long but your games will be more stable!
    good luck! let me know how it turns out!!

11. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

oh yeah sorry but i use memorex dvd+r for my gta vice city backup!

12. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

No probs at all for the wizkid.
    Backup VC works fine on my PS2 v5 with messiah.
    First time I made the backup it worked straight ahead. (on the fly with Nero 5.5.9.17 on DVD+r Platinum)

GREAT GAME !!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2003
  13. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

My Vice City backup would not play using a Memorex $4.00 but plays flawlessly on a Ritek $0.89. I used the same .gi for both, go figure.

14. jr_

jr_ Guest

I think the media and the lockup's with Magic 3.0 are related. Sometimes you can use a different media and it will work fine. I think it is related to how hard the PS2 is having to work to read the disk and continually reading the boot code from the Magic 3.0 chip.
    Example:
    I have a PS2 backup of a game with a long winded intro movie. It would always hang and start repeating the same paragraph over and over.(Picture is static just a page in a book so It didn't look like it was frozen) This always happened and usually at the same spot. If I skipped the intro the game ran fine. I always thought it was just a media problem.
    After the problem I had with the Getaway (original and backup) I removed my Magic 3 and put a Magic 3.1 Not only did it fix the Getaway (orignal and backup) now the intro on the game above also works using the same backup disk.
    I had a copy of NFS 2 on one brand that would hang and one that was fine. Now they both work.

So here is a over simplification for Magic 3.0:

If you get Disk Read Errors and it says on your screen that there is an error reading your disk (It's the media)
    If your picture and sound freeze: (It's the Mod chip)
    If your picture freezes for a few seconds and then recovers.(It's the Mod chip)
    If the picture freezes and the sound gets in a loop (It's the Mod chip)

One other point:
    Just because they said they were selling you a 3.1 does not mean you got one.
    Hardware the 3.0 and 3.1 are exactly the same. They are both just off the shelf Scenix SX18AC Microcontrollers. The only difference is the code. When they were programmed and thus what version was used.
    So how do you tell which one you have?

Try this:
    Put a backup in that works.
    Hold the reset for 4 seconds.
    3.1 will go to a red screen. This is how you disable it.
    3.0 should boot the disk.

(I haven't actually tried this with a 3.0 since I don't have one installed now but I think it should work.)