1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a way microsoft will ever be able to detect firmware?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by profycy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. profycy

profycy Member

whaddup people?

i was just wondering if microsoft will ever detect users online with the firmware flash, i have a feeling that they wont be able to since there is no modding to the actual hardware like a mod chip etc. and plus if they could they would have already patched it up like the they do. also this may be the reason for the new versions of 360's being brought out(the new quiter drive etc)

any opinions?

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

This is asked alot. Some say yes... some say no. Really there's no way for any of us to be too sure.

I'd suggest asking here: 1-800-4MY-XBOX :)

3. handsom

handsom Regular member

In January 2007; Microsoft released an update, which actually deliberately blew a circuit on the board, connected to the processor. It permanently damaged that part of the hardware, beyond use without physical repair. They did this in response to the hypervisor loophole that was found, which was thought to be a great, rather permanent loophole, no one anticipated that. No one really could have.

My point is, that if it's in there, M$ will be able to tell eventually. I would expect to see a Live update that checks for signed drive firmware, or something like that, ensuring that you're running proper firmware. That may not be directly possible, I won't pretend to fully understand it.

My point is, M$ can do just about whatever they want with the 360; it's whether they feel it's enough of a problem to justify this kind of action yet. The hypervisor was, it would have been a full homebrew backdoor easily.

I anticipate a fix, etc in the future, it's only a question of when.

4. ekim512

ekim512 Guest

lets cross our fingers and say no

they would lose lots of dinero via xbox live

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

its going to happen, and im guessing around the time halo 3 comes out... most anticipated game of the year...and its a Microsoft game studio game, cant have people pirating that, gotta stop burned games from being used....

6. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

I always avoid LIVE with any sort of modded system, even if they claim its undetectable.. As most people have said here they will find away to detect it and then youll get banned from live.

If you must use live get another system and originals to do so... expensive yes, but then you will never get banned :)

I am sure there will be services like Xlink Kai and Xbconnect for the modded 360 (if not already) which you can go online and play friends with for free with mods enabled...

As far as MS patching this up, they usually take their time or at the launch of their new popular games like Halo3 they will release some sort of patch / update that detects the firmware hack... as mikeismad said.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

XBconnect already has 7 games you can play, and setting up private networks with software like Leafnetworks are also compatible with the 360 to play head to head with friends on a private and secure network.

If they figure it out and ban me, i am fine with that. I will have other options. But after i use my points up i can just disconnect my wireless adapter and not worry about it as i rarely play online and just got live for the other content.

8. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

oh cool, I didnt know Xbconnect had 360 games working yet. However I must admit I really didnt look into it, as I rarely if ever play a game online.

I remember in the past they had 2 services the free one and another that cost money. Does the 360 service cost anything ?

9. handsom

handsom Regular member

There is silver and there is gold. Silver is free, and has no online play, except for special events, and a couple gaming exceptions, such as the trading in Viva Pinata. Gold is the 'premium' online package, with full online play, and free access to exclusive gold downloads.

Wow; sounds like a commercial, doesn't it?

Gold is totally worth it... Even though I'm no longer on it. I'm just a smidge bitter against M$ for a little snafoo with their billing department that resulted in about $200 in overdraft fees, and them claiming I owed them a little over thirty bucks. Needless to say, due to billing alone, I've had no intention of returning.

Although with Crackdown here, and the beta of Halo3 just around the corner... I'm strongly considering a gold membership again, if I can talk some sense into a supervisor at Live's billing department. I was a pay-member from the first few months that Live was up; up until the billing problem a few months ago, and as for me they can either fix it, or lose me altogether. But then again, they're a large conglomerate, so it really doesn't matter to them if they lose me.

10. billz

billz Active member

that's what they said about gears of war... and every other big release

11. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

but i really foresee it happening with halo 3

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  12. billz

billz Active member

they'll start banning when you can cheat. period.

13. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

not necessarily, you can still mod online as it is now, and people do it with their 360s all the time, and they are well aware of firmware mods, i seriously think its just a matter of time before they start banning

14. asb1

asb1 Member

this is a good question but noone really knows this do they i suppose what we can do is mod the 360 at our own risk and hope that they wont decect and enjoy our dirt cheap games :)

15. handsom

handsom Regular member

Well; I guess you just play with a month-to-month Live account; and hope that when they cancel you; they don't physically brick your system, lol.

16. steimy

steimy Active member

It will be interesting to see what is done. Bricking people's systems for a firmware hack is just plain wrong. I could assure you that if that happens I will never buy another one. Nor any other Microsoft product. Like stated above i amd sure that would not hurt them any but it would give me personal satisfaction. I have no problem with them banning me from live, but causing $500 worth of damage is another thing altogether,.

17. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

btw piracy is illegal...

18. profycy

profycy Member

i have read every reply and i think most people still believe that it will be detected and people will eventuallt get banned, i guess most poeple will wait until halo 3 for their answer. btw does anybody knw how long after the OG xbox was modded that poeple started to get banned?

19. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

That's a different situation, though. The original xbox was running a modified bios when people were getting banned. The 360 is still original, it's the dvd drive which is modified.

20. handsom

handsom Regular member

Well; it (sort of) happened once already when an update was released online.

Bottom line though; M$ has a big, fat, policy agreement that you acknowledge before you use your system. It's around eighty pages of legal mumbo jumbo that equivilates to "M$=Big, they own your system and the way you use it. If you do things you're not supposed to, M$ will take action against you as they see fit, and you agree that they have the legal right." That's a pretty harsh abbreviation, but that, combined with them having the legal right to change or alter it at any time (Yeah, that stipulation is in there as well) and you've already agreed to those changes, lol.

So, from a legal perspective, they can do whatever they like.

From a REAL perspective, the most they did to people's original XBox was a simple ban, even though they could have done more. After all, let's recall that early attempts to mod the Nintendo DS resulted in a lot of bricked systems, due to harsh protection. But given M$ track record, they'll probably ban your serial and your id.

It's simply speculation, because they physically could do it if they wanted to.