1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to boot form a usb HDD?

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by jiglybutt, Dec 19, 2004.

1. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

I recently got a usb HDD and Norton Ghost. If I create a clone image file of my Primary HD to my usb HD. Is there any way I can boot from the usb drive?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

depends on motherboard bios if capable of doing that

3. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

I went into the bios and it doesn't recognize my usb HD as a device to boot from. So I guess it doesn't support it. Is there anyway to make it support it?

4. ddp

check motherboard site for bios upgrade for your board that MIGHT have that option in it

5. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

Ok. Do you know how to check what motherboard you have without opening your pc (if there isn't then I'll just open my pc and see.)

6. ddp

check your motherboard manual. is your computer a clone or a name brand like ibm, hp or whatever than find model # & series #. oh you spelled jiglybutt wrong i think it is supposed to be jigglybutt

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

I have Dell so I guess I'll check the manual. I had to spell jigglybutt with only one g or else the name would be too long.

8. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

OK. I can't seem to get my comp to boot from the usb HD. I have a Western Digital internal IDE HD. I connected it to an IDE ribbon and I have it set on master but it's not on the primary ribbon cable. Anyway when I boot up my pc (it boots from my primary HD with Windows) it doesn't recognize the drive. I have also tried connecting it to the primary ribbon cable and set it on slave (so that it does not interfere with my main HD) and it still doesn't recognize the drive. It currently has linux on it but I want to use it as a backup HD. If I disconnect the cables from my main HD and plug them into the HD with linux it boots up fine. Why won't it recognize the HD when I boot from the HD with Windows?

I really hope I can get this booty to bounce so that I can backup my system.
    -jigglybutt

9. ddp

if on secondary cable by itself than take jumper of wd as wd is different from other manufacturers. if not by itself set as master & set cd/dvd drive as slave & see if bios sees drive. post results

10. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

It is not by itself there's a cd/dvd drive. So I set the HD drive to master and set the cd/dvd drive to slave. My bios does recognize the HD but Windows does not (It doesn't show up in Windows explorer).
    -Jigglybutt

11. ddp

windows doesn't recognize linux

12. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

So if I were to install Windows on the HD with linux then My primary HD would recognize it?

13. ddp

if want to have dual boot os than linux might have to be reloaded on to c:drive but not certain on that as i haven't done dual boot in about 6 years & not on xp

14. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

I don't want to dual boot. All I want to do is get my computer to recognize a second internal IDE HD so that I can use Norton Ghost to clone my primary HD to the second HD which will be used as a backup just incase something disastrous happens to my primary one. The HD that I want to use has the second IDE HD just happens to have linux on it. If I were to disconect to cables from my primary HD (primary IDE cable) and plug them into the HD with linux then my computer would boot from the HD with linux. I could then boot from the HD with linux and install windows over it. I could take the cable out of the HD that once had linux on it but now has windows (primary IDE) and plug them into my main HD(The one I want to make a clone image of) and then I could then set the other HD as slave and plug it into the secondary IDE cable. The question in my last post was that if I did all this and I were to boot my computer would windows recognize the HD on the secondary IDE cable (because windows is installed on it and not linux)?
    -Jigglybutt

15. ddp

had to make certain that i understood you properly. leave both drives as is(windows on c: & linux on d:). goto disk management in control panel/administrative tools than double click computer management

16. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

ok. And then what?

17. ddp

try this.
    Start
    Right Click My Computer
    Manage
    Disk Management
    on the right are all your drives and partitions
    Right Click a partition and choose delete

Do this for all unwanted partitions.
    After you have cleared D and F you can right click the one large partition and choose Format to make the space usable.

18. jiglybutt

jiglybutt Member

I am such an idiot. I went to Disk management and found that there was a partition set aside for my secondary HD. I then started Norton Ghost and it recognized my secondary HD aswell. Windows explorer did not so I thought that Norton Ghost wouldn't either. Anyway I went ahead and cloned my primary HD to my secondary HD and it worked! When it worked my booty shook in ways that words can not describe!

I can't beleive I didn't relize this sooner! I guess my booty just got too thick for most dicks to penetrate.

Thanks for the help ddp! Keep it bootylicious!
    -Jigglybutt

19. ddp

teach & learn