1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a way to burn avi's to dvd without converting?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by debs182, Jan 5, 2005.

1. debs182

debs182 Member

Is there a way i can burn avi files to a dvd so i can play them on my dvd player, because i downloaded a bunch of avi files and used dvdsanta to encode them and when i put them on to a dvd-r the audio sync was way off. The avi files play perfect on the pc.
    Can anyone help please?

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

unless your dvd-player is able to handle the playback of divx/xvid theres no way around having to convert your avi's to (s)vcd/dvd for playback on your dvd-player.

as for the avis going out of sync when converting them to dvd its simple...use a 'PROPER' mpeg encoder like tmpgenc(recommended), mainconcept, cce ect ect. you can convert to svcd/dvd with tmpgenc for 30 days if you download the trial version after which time you'll have to buy the program to continue converting to svcd/dvd(converting to vcd is free always), so i suggest you go with tmpgenc, you can try the other encoders ive mentioned but their trail versions are usually crippled versions which leave ugly watermarks when your try to convert (s)vcd/dvd.

heres the aD guide for avi to dvd with tmpgenc:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

all the nessecary tools u need to make the conversion work is included in the guide.

if you follow that guide down to a tee you shouldnt have any dramas at all.

goodluck ;)

3. debs182

debs182 Member

I'll give TMPGEnc a go, i've used that in the past, the thing is, i've had this problem before and someone advised TMPGEnc also but the audio was still way out after converting, but i'll give it ago later. Thanks

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

fair enuff

if you have any questions/problems with tmpgenc just ask, ive been using it for years as have other people in this forum so im sure we'll get it sorted if you have any troubles...which you shouldnt ;D.

PeAcE

5. debs182

debs182 Member

I've just tried converting it with TMPGEnc, and it's still the same :-( i don't know what else to do!

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

ok, it can only be 2 things thats causing tmpgenc to encode the audio out of sync, first there might be corrupted frames in your source avi or second it may be that tmpgenc doesnt recognise the audio in your avi properly.

first i'd check and see if theres any bad frames in your source avi, you can do this with divfix, if it finds errors in the avi you can tell divfix to rebuild the index of the avi and cut out the corrupted frames. get divfix here: http://download.divfix.maxeline.com/DivFix110.zip

:.load up file in divfix>>select check for errors>>then select rebuild index(even if error check doesnt find any errors still select rebuild index because as divfix states...the error checking isnt perfect)if it finds errors then great, just load the new file divfix created in tmpgenc and you should be set...if not you'll have to decompress the audio.

to decompress the audio in your file to wav you'll need virtual dub, get it here:http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror=0&software_id=149

:.first load your AVI into VirtualDub then goto the audio tab and select 'full processing mode', then goto>>>file>>Save WAV...>>>give the wav output a name then just let it do its job. now this will create a separate wav audio file that TMPGEnc can now recognise and encode properly, just load the video as you normally would in TMPGEnc and for the audio select the new wav file that VirtualDub has created and thats it, encode away.

let us know how you get on ;)

PeAcE

7. debs182

debs182 Member

Thanks i'll give it a go and let you know