1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to determine blank media quality?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by billyboy2, Apr 23, 2005.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Member

Problem: CIRC (CRC) errors making backups of backups...

Having been informed by several forum contributors that my frequent CIRC (CRC) errors when reading backups with DVD Decrypter (latest version) are caused by dirty, scratched, or otherwise "crappy" media, could someone tell me how I can tell if my so called "name brand" media is of high enough quality?

Case in point: I am getting lots of CRC errors using two brands of DVD media; Memorex (Wal-Mart), and TDK (Costco). Both appear to be above-average quality.

I cannot find any reference to quality anywhere on the label of either.

Is there a quality rating number/letter of some sort on the label? If so, where?

Thanks to all,

Bill

2. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

No I am afraid not. What manufacturer would willingly say their disk is not as good as their competitors. This is all done by trial and error. Some players like certine media and some people prefer certain media. For the most part .....

Tayo Yuden
    Verbaitim
    Maxell

would be concidered by most as tier 1 or the best you can get. Some guys would include ....

Sony
    Fugi
    Prodisc
    TDK

in or around the tier 1 or at least tier 2. This list is nowhere neer complete but one thing though you won't find much support or love for Memorex here. There is plenty of info in the DVD-R media forum ..... check it out. For the most part it comes down to what works best. Some other things that seam to affect the media ..... Labels ..... if you are using them they have been known to cause allot of people allot of trouble.

cheers

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The following list is in preference order. The best discs are near the top of the list.

Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:

MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)<-----------------VERBATIM MY CHOICE #1
    TDKG02 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    TAIYOYUDEN or YUDEN = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)<--------------FUJIFILM (made in japan) MY CHOICE #2

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree with bassnut and Jizmak. Memorex is well below average one reason being they use cmc mag to produce a lot of their media and cmc mag is considered by most to be one of the worst manufactures there is. Memorex = very inconsistant. TDK usually isn't too bad.

Memorex DVD+R 16X (CMCMAG M01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (MBIPG101-R03-000)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Memorex DVD+R 4x Printable (MCC-003-000)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (CMC MAG E01)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PHILIPSC08)
    Memorex DVD+R 8X (PRODISCR03)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (CMC MAG.W01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (INFODISCA01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x (RICOHJPNW01)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (CMC MAG.W02)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (MKM-A02)
    Memorex DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPNW11)
    Memorex DVD-R 2x (CMC MAG.....)
    Memorex DVD-R 2x (TAIYOYUDEN..)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (CMC MAG. AF1)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (MBI 01RG20)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Memorex DVD-R 4x (ProdiscS03)
    Memorex DVD-R 8X (CMC MAG AE1)
    Memorex DVD-RW 1x (ProdiscDVDRW)
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (RITEKW01) MINI DVD-RW 1.36GB
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (RITEKW01....)
    Memorex DVD-RW 2x (TDK502sakuM3)
    MemorexDVD-RAM 2x (Optodisc

TDK DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    TDK DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    TDK DVD+R 8x (CMC MAG.E01)
    TDK DVD+R 8x (RICOHJPN R02)
    TDK DVD+RW 2.4x (MCC.....A01)
    TDK DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPNW11)
    TDK DVD-R 2x (MCC 00RG200)
    TDK DVD-R 2x (MXL RG01....)
    TDK DVD-R 2x (RITEKG04....)
    TDK DVD-R 2x (TDKG02000000)
    TDK DVD-R 4x (TTG01.......)
    TDK DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
    TDK DVD-R 4x Scratch-Proof (TTG01)
    TDK DVD-R 8x (TTG02)
    TDK DVD-R 8x (TTH01)
    TDK DVD-RW 2x (TDK502sakuM3)
    TDK DVD-RW 2x Scratch-Proof (TDK502sakuM3)

5. billyboy2

billyboy2 Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll be a bit more discerning next time I shop media.

Thanks again for your time.

Bill

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're welcome Bill and good luck.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's a brand name that I highly recommend to newbs,and I have absolulely no trouble re-ripping them,but haven't tried to re-rip rw's:

Maxell DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Maxell DVD+R 4x (YUDEN000T01)
    Maxell DVD+R 8x High Grade Video (MAXELL002)
    Maxell DVD-R 1x (RITEKG03....)
    Maxell DVD-R 2x (MXL RG01....)
    Maxell DVD-R 4x (MXL RG02....)
    Maxell DVD-R 4x (TYG01.......)
    Maxell DVD-R 4x (RITEKG04....)
    Maxell DVD-R 8x (MXL RG03....)
    Maxell DVD-RAM 3x (MXL8)
    Maxell DVD-RW 2x (MCC 01RW11n9)
    Maxell DVD-RW 2x (TDK502sakuM3)

I'd take any of these in a heartbeat,both my benq's love them.
    Take notice on the Maxell DVD-R 4x,3 different manufacturers.The ritek's are made in taiwan,and the ty and mxl-rg02's are made in JAPAN! These are the maxell Yellowtops.

I have used many different quantities of maxell in both the + and - format in the: 3/5/10/15/25/and 50 pack spindles and all those different manufacturers make that brand name,so you don't have to worry as much about switching to different quantity of spindles.They are very good to start with,and easily nearby for when they go on sale. Very reliable,until you venture into the taiyo yuden's and Verbatim data life plus.

TDK reliable? Their manufactures look very good in their dash format, the manufacturers for their +4x and +8x is a huge gamble. I've been getting hammered here in the last 2 or 3 days by many members getting the TDK plus media with the mfg codes from C-Magnetics.Lots of coasters,playback issues,and yes- they are erroring so much that their DMA's are switching their IDE controllers to PIO mode.

Stick to the good stuff,it will save you a lot of problems down the road.

The manufacturers for Fuji look very good also,Ty's are on their japanese media- +1x-8x.

Sony: I haven't a single issue with the sony + or - 1x-8x. The +1x-8x that are made in japan are Yuden000-T02.The taiwanese +1x-8x are also very good,but for the same price-you can get the Japanese ones.The spindles are usually all mixed together so you have to search those labels.
    Now on the Sony -1x-8x, They are also made in Japan and taiwan. Some stratetegy applies,look for made in japan. They both use the same manufacturing code of SONY08D1.

Sony 4x and 1x-4x,best to avoid them.Some of these are made in Austria. The 1x-8x sony's are far superior.

The worst part of these newer 8x media, Those sony +1x-8x will burn at 16x in my burner. You really have to watch burn settings.

Here's a few tips on re-ripping your backups,mainly on your 1st copy:
    1)Quality media
    2)4x burn speed max!!!!! slower=even better
    3)No multi-tasking and turn off all background apps.
    4)This has been coming up lately: Quality burner. Some burners out there are a lot weaker.

I re-rip a ton using nero express's copy disc feature,on the fly and not one single coaster.

Good Luck and burn on!!!!

8. billyboy2

billyboy2 Member

Thanks for all the info, guys.
    Labels can be misleading...whodathought Memorex was crap.
    Also, could be my stick-on labels are a factor. From now on, it's TDK and Maxell.

Bill

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Definitely, It can build up heat and also can be un-balanced. A few members can get away with using sticker labels. Most have playback issues. Any issues,usually pealing them off will fix them.And if you are trying to re-rip those labeled backups,they would definitely give you those crc errors.

Now the Ink-jet printable media does work very well.It's about twice the price of the regular dvdr media,but looks very good and the pie and pif scans look sweet! Of course,a sharpie is the best way to ID your discs.

Here's a free version of dvdinfopro. It has several scanning tests that you can perform on your backups: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Beware of the TDK +4x and +8x because of cmags. Their dash format looks a lot better,manufacturer quality wise.

Maxell- Very good,whichever format and spindle quantity size you get.Staples have them on sale again for $18 this week for the +/- 8x media. A buddy of mine told me the -8x gold tops he bought there last week were made in taiwan,with the mfg code of ritek-g05. This is a new one on me.

10. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

I bought the same ones at Office Depot the same week for basically the same price (think it was $.50 more per stack) and the box said they were made in Japan. Checked the ones at Staples after I bought from Office Depot and the Staples one said made in Taiwan.

Would never have known there is a difference except I read it here in the forums. Great place for learning!

11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

If you have Nero 6 Ultra, put a blank dvd-r/+r in your burner, just go to "Nero Info Tool", Nero will automatically check on your dvd-rom drive and burner right away. Once it stop, just click on "DISC", this will show you how's the speed of the blank dvd-r/+r, what manufacture and who's made it with their id code.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  12. billyboy2

billyboy2 Member

[i[If you have Nero 6 Ultra, put a blank dvd-r/+r in your burner, just go to "Nero Info Tool", Nero will automatically check on your dvd-rom drive and burner right away[/i]

Thanks. alkohol - Just dl'd DVDInfo which seems to do the trick also.