1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to disable other computers from torrenting on your network?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by noobster1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. noobster1

noobster1 Member

Title says it all.
    I’m having to share my wireless internet connection with my tenants and back when I set it up for them I noticed that a few of them had uTorrent installed. Since then I’ve noticed that they’ve been draining my quota and using up a lot of bandwidth which could only lead me to suspect that someone (obviously not me) is downloading/seeding some heavy stuff. I don’t want to deny them access to my network but I want to either stop them from torrenting or at least restrict their usage to a basic level (web browsing, email, etc.). It’s honestly just pissing me off because the only reason I allowed them access was for light use since they’re university students. I’ve already unsuccessfully tried to talk to them as well.
    Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im thinking upgrade your plan to unlimited and get them to pay a share.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as talking to them didn't work then cut them off your network.

5. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Screw them.. Change your SSID and password. Then tell them to pay for their own service.
    It seems they don't respect you for letting them piggy backing off of you in the first place.

Jeff

6. noobster1

noobster1 Member

I blocked their computer's MAC addresses and told them that if they continued torrenting then it would stay like that and consequently they finally listened. I honestly don't know why I didn't think of this before. I was probably too busy to think. Nonetheless all the help and suggestions was greatly appreciated. Cheers for the help everyone!

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.

8. Mez

Mez Regular member

If they know what they are doing there is no stopping them except to go wired. I learned that the hard way. It is a well kept secret that wireless networks are not secure. Apparently the 'hole' is not readily plugged. They have know about this for more than 2 yrs. Increase your id and password to the max as well. There is an application to forge mac addresses. If they are smart they can get the mac addresses of all your computers/necs as the first thing they do when they hack in.

I forgot to add, 1 out of 3 torrent users does so with someone else's network. Most people are two stupid to realize what is happening.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012