1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to increase the burning & encoding speed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jay_785, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Jay_785

Jay_785 Guest

I am currently using the DVD SHRINK program to burn my dvd-r's. I am running a an AMD Athlon XP processor. 1.12 GHZ, and I believe I have 256 ram. It seems whenever I burn a dvd it takes 1-2 hrs to complete the wholle process. Is there a way, I can increase to burn less than 45 minutes at least.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Maybe more RAM and a faster processor. Transcoding and encoding are very dependent on the processor. 2+ GHz processors and 512MB RAM or more are suggested for DVD recording. Sometimes just adding some RAM will increase backup times. However, for significant improvement, a faster processor is needed. That is if all is working properly.

As jim_dandy pointed out, the drive setup has to be correctly set. Also, the quality features in DVD Shrink take longer than the program did in the past. So, an hour or more for a large movie isn't bad when using quality settings, even for a "larger" PC. If a movie doesn't have to be compressed more than 10 or 15%, then it would be best to not use quality settings if time is important.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jay_785,

2 things to do.

1. Donate as much of your resources as you can. Go to "msconfig" and "dis-able all" - Apply - OK - OK to reboot. Now all of your RAM will be available to do your job so long as it is the only thing running.

2. Reducing the quality increases speed.

Many younger members care only for - "How fast can I backup a DVD".

Using a program like DVD Shrink OR Recode2, "Un-check" anything that has the word "Quality" OR "Analysis" in it. Your copy will be of fair quality, similar to a VHS tape and you'll be going at the fastest speed your PC specs will allow.

You can operate until you have enough of a PC to increase your speed.

Just a note: Many of our younger members exaggerate their burning numbers. There's no way that someone with PC specs of a 1.2 Ghz processor and 256MB of RAM can burn a disc in 14 minutes while encoding another disc, surfing the "net", and burning labels (Lol) – perhaps in their dreams :)

Our more knowledgeable members believe that doing it well is more important than doing it quickly. Burning your disc for 2 hours while you're sleeping, chatting with friends OR enjoying a meal makes that time fly -

Happy burning,

Pete

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

Jay_785

Seems there are questions about the quality settings with DVD Shrink. The quality is better than VHS any way you go. I remember Pete and others bragging on how good DVD Shrink was, before the update to 3.2 and the accompanying new quality settings. Interestingly, Shrink proponents have always noted how superior the program is to all others. Granted, Shrink is a decent program, and the price is right. However, there are better programs to be had. But I'm getting away from the topic of Shrink and quality settings.

Shrink without the quality settings operates the same as the older versions. Somehow, some people act as though the program they bragged on earlier suddenly became inferior (well it really did when the latest version came out, but that didn't change the versions they bragged on earlier). I argued Shrink had a compression problem before the 3.2 version. Seems the author of Shrink thought so as well, hence the quality settings in 3.2. (Before the update though, one person bragged about how many movies he could put on one disc.) At low compression the quality settings aren't needed as much. One can still get a good picture. The quality settings are for improvements in quality at higher compression levels. So, as I mentioned earlier one can get away without the quality settings up to about 10 to 15% (user discretion on how high to go). After that the choice boils down to speed or quality. The quality even with the old Shrink was superior to any VHS recordings.

I may have wrongly assumed you want to stay with DVD Shrink, since it is freeware. Rebuilder is another option for high quality DVD backup. With the Cinema Craft Encoder it is a bit slower than Shrink using quality settings, but a superior app (true encoding). CCE basic is a retail app though. Speaking of retail, DVDCopy3 from InterVideo is one of the best quality transcoders and is relatively fast in the process. It's faster than Shrink anyway you go. It should be better, the user pays for it. A full function trial can be downloaded, http://www.intervideo.com . Don't take my word for it, give the app a spin. But as my message stated and Pete's alludes to, you need available RAM and a quick processor for best results with any encoder or trancoder app.

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I, myself, is a long time InterVideo user and am too, have to agree with you on this when comparing with SHRINK. Regardless of times, compressing/backing up or quality wise - InterVideo 3 is slightly better, faster and easier to use. Hence, you can even do your back up into nearly everything in any format i.e. vcd/svcd/avi/divx/vr. Obviously, the downside is that it's not a FREE software like SHRINK. Therefore, a lot of users would rather use SHRINK since they don't have to pay any dime$ from their pocket. I've used variety of burning softwares in the past such as DvdCLoner2, DVD X Copy Platinum, Dvd Wizard Pro, CloneDVD, 1Click, InterVideo, DvdFab Express, Dvd2One, Nero and recently SHRINk and Decrypter all together. However, I still think that InterVideo 3 & 1Click is my first choice besides SHrink and Decrypter in my opinion with the experiences I've acquired. But then again, that's just me and we're all entitled to our own judgement, so use whatever you deem it's best for you. Technically speaking, SHRINK and Decrypter are the only 2 FREE programs available out there that's doing such an impressive job backing up movies. With that being said; we have nothing to lose, so we're all should be glad to use it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

1ClickDVDCopy, I guess that's what is meant by 1Click, is an inferior product in my estimation. Any minor magnification will show pixel breakdown. It works well for movie only with simple encryption and low compression. I set if for a full disc copy of the movie Grudge. The program hit bad sectors and came to a screeching halt. After grinding on the same group of bad sectors for about a half hour, I put it out of my misery and promptly deleted the program. It wasn't worth the price, even with the free CopyToDVD which was given away with the program at the time. I'll just stick with DVDCopy3 and RB/CCE for doing backups until something better comes along.

8. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

I had a similar problem a while ago, I spend ages trying to figure out why my machine went from 15 mins encoding in shrink and 15 mins in decrypter, then someone came back to me and asked me was I running XP and did I have service pack 2 installed, I was running XP but had the PC in a workshop where it was reformatted. but service pack 2 wasnt reinstalled, this brought the process of ripping from 30 mins to over 2 hours, once I reinstalled service pack 2 I was back to 30 mins again. apparently it has something to do with USB 2, this may not be the problem your having but it might be worth looking into.

Seamus

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

Seamus
    SP2 is mostly about the security aspect of XP. Granted, there has been some upgrades to other parts of Windows along the line, but just routine items. Nothing that makes it appreciatively faster. I switched from SP to SP2 and there was no noticable difference in any way relating to my backup software. Seems though that some people had conflict problems with SP2, but that wasn't a speed issue; things just wouldn't work properly. Obviously you corrected something when you installed SP2; but it appears there was a fault in your OS when you got it back from the shop.

Interesting, even without the quality settings most of our PCs don't match that 30 minutes on movies that require transcoding. 15 minutes for decrypting is about par for a regular DVD, 6 to 7GB. But transcoding is usually much longer. The only time I got near 15 minutes was when the movie was less than 4.37GB and there was no compression involved (then Shrink or a transcoder isn't needed, just burn). Out of curiosity, do you have a super PC or are you recording small movies or both?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  10. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

before SP2 was reinstalled I had a message saying that I had a (external)massive storage device that would run at a slower speed (dam right it did) when SP2 was reinstalled it found the device again and reinstalled it, and this is the results I get now. full disc in shrink to encode takes 15 minutes the ISO from that with decrypter to burn takes 15 minutes, this includes long movies like the Deerhunter or Gladiator or any other epic you can think of, I feel slightly offended that you questioned my original post. my external burner is a
    Freecom classic double layer 2,4x
    dvd+r(w)8x4x12
    dvd-(w) 8x4x12
    cd R(w) 32x16x40
    I have a dvd built into my pc BUT I use my freecom to encode because its faster, when thats done IN 15 MINUTES i swap the original with the blank to burn which again takes 15 MINUTES.

apologies brobear for not making it clear that it was an External dvd drive.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

@ brobear

can you quote a few times for encoding with RB/CCE as i have started useing AVI2DVD / CCE and its about 3/4 hours dvd to dvd main movie only that is... iut must be sort of rb/cce type infact it has 4 built in encoders aswell as useing avisnyth and besweet and mkisof for iso building etc...

thx brobear.....

12. mcdm

mcdm Guest

InterVideo DVD Copy 3 looks very easy to use and as said is faster
    This is part of the disclamer forInterVideo DVD Copy 3
    InterVideo DVD Copy 3 does not bypass copy protection. DVDs containing CSS-encryption cannot be copied. InterVideo DVD Copy 3 may be used to facilitate copying media in which you own the copyright or have obtained permission to copy from the copyright owner
    my question is does Shrink bypass the copy protection on some dvds?
    if you have to use decrypter and then Intervideo dvd copy 3 is there a time advantage
    mcdm

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

dvd shrink hasnt and i dont think ever will be updated again...

stick with dvd decrypter an all time beast of an app! and free (i love this app!)

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary
    It takes about 50 minutes per pass with RB/CCE. Then you have about 20 minutes tied up in the Prepare and Rebuild. Overall, you're looking at about 2 hours to encode the movie with 2 passes (all CCE Basic can do). BTW, that's not counting rip and burn. With the half hour for ripping and burning it takes 2 1/2 hours to complete a backup to disc.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

mcdm
    First off, Decrypter is an excellent app and kept up to date very well by Lightning UK. The word from the author of Shrink was that the July O4 upgrade was the last. He hasn't changed his mind and the decryption portion of the program is becoming dated quickly. AnyDVD from SlySoft does an excellent job of remedying the problem and with it, Shrink rips and transcodes even the newer encrypted movies that have the ARccOS, bad sector encryption. With AnyDVD, Shrink operates the way it was intended. The drawback is that it isn't free. They have a full function trial one can check out. http://www.slysoft.com DVD Decrypter is the best freeware alternative if you want free. I have both the free Decrypter and AnyDVD and use both quite a bit.

The disclaimer with DVDCopy3 allows the sale of the program in countries where copying copyrighted digital works is frowned upon. If you notice, many of the new programs use external decryption apps. Shrink was one of the older apps that had decryption software built in. Note what happened to 321 Studios with their ripper-backup software.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
  16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there brobear,

thx for that so its about half the time! and dvdrb / cce does the whole dvd!?!

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary,

jdobbs just came out with some new options on the RB PRO version, things not in the freeware. It would always edit out unwanted languages, now it does movie only. I think a $15 donation will still get one on the subscription list. I consider it a bargain. The quality is so good, most of the time I just let RB/CCE go and do the full disc.

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

@ brobear does dvdrb use besweet and avisynth ? as the sound is the best i have seen its spot on! lip sync wise etc... espacilly going from ntsc to pal conversion!

does dvdrb change the dvd original from pal to ntsc and visa versa? this could be the extra time!

amazing feature as to do this in the past was a dam mountain climb!

i am just trying to work out why its half the speed when useing the same app CCE? as this cce does all the work, well mainly.

oh forgot to mention part of the time issue is it made an iso aswell which took a while with mkisof built in, you can not make one and burn video ts folder if you wish made by avi2dvd.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

SDempsey
    I revisited Shrink to run some time tests. I used an old classic to run some time trials, just to make sure the compression wasn't abnormally high or any difficult encryption involved. Heaven Knows Mr Allison with Robert Mitchum was the movie. The entire disc is 6.42 GB, but with only the English the size comes down to 5.67 GB. For comparison, most of the newer DVDs are nearer 6.5 to 7 GB with only the English version. Some of the Director's cuts from Lord of the Rings go well over 7GB for just the movie portion of the DVD. So this was a relatively light task. As we all know, just going from 6 to 7 GB increases the encoding difficulty at a geometric progression. So, using a full disc for an average sized DVD would have increased the times over what I got here.

Just to give you a picture of the PC used, it is a 2.8 GHz P4 with hyperthreading and an 800MHz FSB. It has 1GB of RAM. Normally it has over 600 MB of free RAM for doing backups (more than a lot of PCs are equipped with to start). About 300 GB of hard drive, no space problems. So, nothing out of the ordinary, except for a bit more RAM (not an antique though, just run of the mill).

Doing the Encoding without any quality settings for this simple task took about 20 minutes, not counting the short analysis and the language editing; just a couple extra minutes there. Slightly larger and more difficult DVDs add a bit more time. So, not too much more than the 15 minutes you claimed. But, that is using the old settings of Shrink and not getting the quality the program is capable of, plus this was a moderately sized and simple DVD. Those old settings are just for the fastest one can turn out a backup with Shrink. These settings only give decent quality at very low compression.

When doing the 5.67 GB of the movie with the quality settings, the time involved increases dramatically. 15 minutes for the deep analysis and another 35 minutes for the quality encoding for a total of 50 minutes processing time for this simple DVD. Don't forget to add the burn time.

So, you can see where personal experience called into question some of the time statements. A faster PC could come closer to the 15 minute Shrink encode, but there it still seems it would need to be a moderate sized movie with no structural problems and definitely not using any of the quality settings of the 3.2 version.

I did the Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster in just over 20 minutes, but that was a DVD5 (4.26 GB).

Hope that clarifies from example what I was talking about. I wasn't calling you a liar, I was mentioning 15 minute encodes aren't the norm, especially if one wants to achieve the best quality. I wasn't trying to impune your statements, just trying to clarify the situation with Shrink so a newbie won't wonder through, try the quality settings and wonder why he/she can't encode in 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
  20. brobear

brobear Guest

Rotary,
    RB/CCE uses AviSynth and DGDecode as the decoder. As far as function, that would be a question better asked of jdobbs. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/97052/993228-124751 There is a link to the RB/CCE thread most used here at AD and jdobbs frequents it.

(For anyone reading this and unaware, jdobbs is the author of Rebuilder.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005