1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to increase the burning & encoding speed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jay_785, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

brobear. thanks for that, most of what you said went over my head, im not that tecno minded. I downloaded shirnk as used it is as it came, I didnt change any settings. saying that I dont do the deep analaysis bit I just encode, maybe thats the difference,
    again apologies for any confusion. EDIT: burned national treasure last night and it took 28 minutes using decrypter ??????????????????
    Seamus

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

28 minutes? Entire process or just the burn? Bragging or complaining? I'm not familiar with National Treasure. Is it a DVD5 or 9?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
  3. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Brobear once again thanks for the explanation
    mcdm

4. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

brobear, im complaining, as ive said before it usually takes 15 minutes. this film isint even encrypted which I find strange given that its from the Disney studio.
    its a DVD 5

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Shaking my head from side to side. What next . . . ?)

6. brobear

brobear Guest

mcdm
    You're welcome.

SDempsey
    I wonder as well. If the DVD is not encrypted, and it's a DVD5, all that is needed is to copy it. DVD Decrypter isn't needed unless you're using it as a burner.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  7. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

yes I am using decrypter to copy, although I have nero 6 I find decrypter far easier to use.

8. Tim79

Tim79 Member

I burnt nationl treasure as well. i did the full movie which took about 16mins to decrypt took about 20 to shrink and i think it was around 15 min to burn at 8X. i am running pentium 4HT 3.2ghz with 512 ddr. i do believe the scuba pete is completely correct on his comment that some of the younger crowd do slightly over extend their speeds.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Tim79
    What was the DVD file size of National Treasure in GB or MB? BTW, was the 20 minute "encode" with or without the quality settings in use (that need is sort of dependent on the file to be transcoded)?

SDempsey
    If you want easy, try CopyToDVD. For a decrypted DVD5, all you do is right click the Video_TS folder and select CopyToDVD. For doing this type of copy I find Nero's disk copy function to do equally well, though one does need to open the program. You have to open Decrypter, so I don't see how it would be easier unless it is just a matter of familiarity with the program.

10. Tim79

Tim79 Member

Brobear,
    I actually copied the entire movie and i am pretty sure that it was over 7 gig's. The only reason that i copied the entire movie is because i was just messing around with a few things. On almost every occasion i only copy movie itself which takes even less time. I will try to do a full movie tonight if i get the chance and give the entire time it takes but as mentioned before it also depends on the type of disk that you are copying. I have had a disk decrypt in just over 4 mins and i have also had it take up to 30 mins. I think that it might depend on the type of encryption that is on the disk itself.
    I will also try to get you the shrink times but from what i remember they usualy take 13 - 25 mins depending on the movie (that is with deep analsys)

11. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

I find even to open nero takes an age and even longer to close, but you are probably right, its a familiarity thing.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lot of discrepancies in posts here. One says national treasure is a dvd5 while another says it is over 7gb. I don't have it yet so can't say one way or the other, but would tend to believe it's a dvd9 since very few dvd5's are produced anymore. I would also tend to believe that from everybodys encoding times that noone is useing quality enhancements as this will normally add 20+ minutes to encoding times, but well worth the extra time especially where higher compression is required.

I seldom use dvd shrink anymore (now use RB/CCE or DVDCopy3) but have many dvd shrink backups and hours under my belt.

13. Tim79

Tim79 Member

The decrypted file is exactly 6.57g that is the entire disk. that is also the region 2 version.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

National Treasure looks like a decent movie, think I'll get it. The reason I asked about size is due to what Mort said, few DVD5s being produced. 6.57GB is a DVD9, not a DVD5. A DVD5 is easily ripped, most only take about 5 minutes. Most DVD9s take about 15 minutes give or take a few.

Tim79
    Deep Analysis is only part of the quality settings. It does sound as though you're not using the Quality Enhancements. As Mort noted, it does add more time, but you get better quality.

Mort
    Good choice of programs. The RB/CCE and DVDCopy3 are my 2 favorite backup apps. Have you made a donation to get the Pro version?

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi brobear,
    No dony yet. Little strapped for cash right now, my b-day today got all those fun bills this month associated with, such as vehicle tags and registration. Plan on donating $15 when I have some excess. Take care.

Mort

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Know what you mean. Just think of all the fun we could have without those taxes and other bills.

The RB Pro is worth the $15 dollar donation. Plus, jdobbs is letting the VIP members have the retail version when he gets it worked out. He said he would be removing that part of the offer soon. So, I don't know if that is still good or how long it may be.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Cool, I guess $15 more on the credit card won't kill me.

18. Tim79

Tim79 Member

Brobear,
    As you can see i am a newbie and i have learned so much from this excellent forum. Would you be able to tell me how to set those other quality enhancements. I always use decrypter first and then if i have to decrease size i use shrink. I rarley do the complete movie i usualy chose to reauthor and do just the movie itself. When i decrypt i always decrypt the full movie so that when i do go to reauthor i can pick and choose what i want to keep. Should i be using another software to do my reauthoring. Hope not i love shrink. Some people would disagree but the way that i see it is that one mans cup of tea is another mans poision.
    (Shrink is the bees knees)

19. Tim79

Tim79 Member

I would also like to say that i am not to pushed on speed myself i would prefer quality not quantity.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi Tim79,

Maybe I can help. It's very easy, after you have clicked backup, another menu pops up, click quality settings. If no compression is required the boxes will be greyed out, other wise click advanced analysis and compress vidio with high quality adaptive error ompensation, then on the drop down menu it's really a matter of personal preferance. I think most use maximum smoothness but it takes the most time. I think it works better for movies with a lot of action and special effects but feel free to experiment with the other settings. I think sharp is default. Thats it click ok unless you need to change something else in that menu.