1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a ......?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by KiwiBird2, Mar 30, 2005.

1. KiwiBird2

KiwiBird2 Member

Hey'a guys,

I burned a couple of Video DVD's which I then lent to my brother. They play perfectly on my DVD player, and on my PC's DVD drive. But my brother reckons that near the end of the DVD's there are writing faults cos they wouldn't play properly on his PC's DVD player. And he said that when he used DVD shrink to copy them, it found faults. I said that it played perfectly on mine, and he said that sometimes the glitches can be so tiny, that all you might see is a green pixel or something very hard to notice in the DVD. He said it hadn't been done properly... I am thinking if it plays perfectly on mine (and I also checked with using DVD shrink to copy it, which didn't point out any errors), then doesn't it have to be that some drives are more touchy with some media than others? Anyway, I really want to be right in this, cos he's a bit 'Oh, poor girl, she thinks she knows something about PC's' with me...lol. So if you could give me some feedback, I'd be very happy.... :)

Oh, and one of the main points of this post....is there a programme out there that can scan a Video DVD to see if it has any 'write' problems? I've been looking on google, but maybe I'm not putting in the right words cos I can't find anything.

Thanks....
    Michaela

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I've seen a program refered to on some of the media threads, dvdinfopro, that might do what you want. Search for that program and see.

Copies of copies can easily add additional errors in to the process. The process is also media dependent and burn speed dependent.

Sounds like you acomplished a good burn since it plays to your satisfaction in your player. Thats all that counts.

Tell your brother to back up his own original disc.:-D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  3. KiwiBird2

KiwiBird2 Member

lol....thanks Bilbo. I guess there'll be no need to tell him, as he wont want to use my media from now on anyway. Suits me....lol.

I will certainly do a search for the programme you mention. Thanks for that.

Cheers.....

Michaela :)

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Just out of curiosity, what media do you use? Also, what speed do you burn at?

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

isobuster has some capabilities in reading discs that seem to be damaged with small errors and then giving you an interpretation of where and what?

6. KiwiBird2

KiwiBird2 Member

Hey'a Wolfniggr,

I burn at 4x, and I use Princo DVD-R which some people have told me is not very good. But honestly, I guess you have to go with what works on your machine, cos I've tried a couple of more 'upmarket' brands, and have had glitches. Princo have served me well, and I have no glitches. What do you reckon?

Cheers...

Hey'a Andmerr,

Thanks for that. I shall give it a try. :)

Ciao...Michaela

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey KB2 (sorry for the abbr)

princos are generally the bottom of the barrel discs (like memorex)but you are right what ever works.
    have you tried taiyo yuden or ritek.

Oh heres the link for isobuster which i forgot to give you in the previous post

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

KiwiBird2

When I first started burning, I couldn't buy enough CompUSA media on sale at only 82 cents a piece for DVD-R's which are PRINCO media. Back then that was less then 1/3 the price for better media and I felt that so what, it worked on my burner and in my DVD Player just fine.

Today I find that those first 100 or so disks now do have several problems on them, pixilation problems, and also will not play in one of my Portable DVD Players, one of my DVD-ROM drives and also on my wife's Dell 5100 Laptop. Just try doing a quality scan on them using DVDInfoPro and you will be in for a shock. Just because they did work on your player does not mean that they didn't have any problems at the time they were burned and worst yet, aren't developing problems within the dye by just sitting there either. The object of doing a burn should be to have a backup copy of the original, but in as little as a couple of years, if the backups aren’t good any longer, then what’s the point.

9. KiwiBird2

KiwiBird2 Member

Hey'a Andmerr (abbr. is good, makes me sound cooler than I am...lol).

Thanks for the link. I've never heard of Taiyo or Yuden. No, I don't recall having tried Ritek, but will give it a go. Thanks again.

Bud, Oh dear, it just gets worse!...lol. Ok, point taken. I will definately look at new and improved brands...lol. Thanks for your help.

Happy burning....Me