1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There An AVI Codec Besides DiVX and XVid???

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by vertigo17, Feb 23, 2004.

1. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

Hey, is there an AVI Codec out there for encoding ripped DVD's besides DiVX and XVid. I like these two codecs, don't get me wrong, but I was just wondering if there is another codec that can do the same thing. DiVX and XVid won't play back on my buddy's 266mhz Pentium II. Please help.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I feel your pain Vertigo! I have a beloved Pentium Pro @233MHz that won't playback MPEG4 AVIs (I use it for 3dfx - remember that?) but I have found it will play MPEG1 very nicely.
    You could rip DVD to MPEG1 at 352x240 and then burn these to VCDs, which will play in any DVD player. The MPEGs and/or VCDs should also play in the Pentium II.
    Check out TMPEGenc. See how much you can rip in 30 days...
    Regards

3. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

hey thanks for the advice. i tried ripping a dvd to vcd (mpeg 1), but the quality is just not there. i'll have to wait till technology improves.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I hear you, really wide films especially don't look their best.
    But I have slowly/carefully made VCDs that look not too bad on a 17" monitor, and really amazing on a TV (crude device). Fullscreen (1.33:1) helps use all available resolution - when you have only 240 lines you don't want to share it with the black bars!
    But I fear nothing will improve in future for these old PCs. MPEG4s and even MPEG2s (DVDs) are just too CPU-intensive...

5. Ender22

Ender22 Member

Hi guyz,

I understand your problem, before I changed my PIII 500 (I have now a PIV 2.6Ghz...(sorry)), I had problems to play DivX file at 24 frame/sec.
    I agree with The_OGS, MPEG1 is the right choice !
    It's important to know that the quality of your MPEG1 file depends on the encoder you use. Hardware encoding-enabled boards (like Pinnacle PCTV) give better results than software encoders.

For better performances, use Windows Media Player 6.4. Do not use a "design focused" player like Hyplay. The interface is beautiful but very slow on an "old" computer. (Though for those who are interested in this free avi player, you can find hyplay here : http://www.hyplay.com).