1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an Xbox 360 iso extractor for Mac or xbox itself?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by havanotha, Aug 19, 2010.

1. havanotha

havanotha Member

Hi, there seems to be a lot of tools around to do this for PC, but nothing for MAC. I've spent hours, trawled forums and downloaded a few free apps, but nothing seems to work. My macs all want to mount the image as a DVD which is too small and doesn't include the necessary files for xbox to read.

All I want to do is extract an .iso to the usual confusing collection of xbox files - including the all important xex. The idea was to then pop the files onto a USB drive and launch the programme via XeX or whatever.

Ooooor.... is there an app for the Xbox itself? I know even a jtagged Xbox can't run .iso files from the container, but is there an app that can unpack them into a useable format?

I know, I know. Gat a PC, run parallels or bootcamp, burn the iso onto a disk...

But surely I'm not the only one with a Mac and a jtagged xbox? And surely with all the talented writers out there, someone's come up with an elegant solution that extracts .iso files on the xbox itself?? Or at least lets you extract and copy to a hard drive rather than go through the process of burning a disk??

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Uhh if you know about bootcamp why don't you just go ahead and do it?

It takes about an hour, doesn't cost anything *assuming you have the media*, and there is no downside to it.

If anything you are improving the computer by putting windows on it.

4. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

on your mac use xdisk

on your jtag xbox, just use the copy dvd function, this will extract to file format on your hard drive (in the games folder)

5. havanotha

havanotha Member

Thanks, but I can't make xdisk work. I've tried 3 different copies on 2 very different Macs using 3 different .ISOs and it just keeps saying they're not valid. The ISO's should be good - they're the most popular ones being seeded, they're the right size and comments indicate they're proper. I've downloaded 5 or 6 similar OSX Xbox apps and none of them worked. Most are designed to split, patch and burn to a disk anyway. I don't want a disk, I want to go straight from .ISO to usb drive. It's doable on a PC but so far, not Mac. And I can't find any homebrew apps for the Xbox which can extract ISOs. Unless I'm missing something - which is entirely possible, hence my asking the experts here.

Yes, I could, and probably will, just give up and go from original game disks, to the Xbox using Xex or the Xbox's built in copy to HD function. But it's frustrating when I know it's possible to DL and convert .ISOs on a PC. And theoretically, it should be simpler to extract an ISO and copy it to an Xbox, or extract an ISO on the Xbox itself, rather than burn a disk with split layers and patching all that jazz.

As for bootcamp, I know about it (kind of) but don't actually have it. Getting it and installing it is quite an effort, and from what I understand, I still need an original copy of windows or XP or vista or whatever the heck windows uses. As I haven't had a PC for 10 years or more, it's a world of hurt.

So I guess I'll just stick to original game disks. It's no biggie, I just wondered if there was an easy way to extract downloaded ISOs - without having to find a friend with windows.

N

6. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

8. havanotha

havanotha Member

Wicked! Thanks miketrev - and talk about a speedy reply. Legend.

I'll give that proggie a go a bit later (I'm at work right now - working hard obviously).

But with Xexmenu and FSD, I thought you could only use the copy function on an actual disk? Are you saying all I have to do is stick an ISO on the hard drive, select it and hit 'copy'?

Because that would be super stylish and I'd feel like a right twat for not working it out myself.

N

9. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Ah, you are correct, you cant do that with a ISO. Too many Vodka and redbulls on my part :D

10. havanotha

havanotha Member

Mm. Thought so. I'm kind of dumb when it comes to this stuff, but I'm pretty sure I tried that.

Ah vodka. Hopefully I'll be there too in a few hours.

Anyway, I'll try that app as soon as I get home. OK, as soon as I get home and pour a drink. After that.

N

11. havanotha

havanotha Member

Nope, just tried it. And it's one I think I've tried before. 3 machines now, and it won't open on any of them.

Also, heads up, that link in your sig goes to the wrong place. But I found another one after that DL link you sent:

http://www.elitemodscene.com/irc/ircconnect.html

and someone there's now scratching their head about it. Oh and telling me I'm an idiot for having a Mac.

N

12. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Updated my sig, hope you get it sorted man.