1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY 2 PATCH MERCS??

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by DyingIsis, Apr 27, 2005.

1. DyingIsis

DyingIsis Member

I cannot patch Mercs to run on Swap Magic due to the whole PC not running DOS based programs and I have followed the guides but my PC will not even attempt to sort itself out so I'm wondering if there is ANY other way to patch the game to work with Swap magic without having to use the dumb ass DOS patch.
    Also I am wondering why the Hell was the patch created in DOS anyway in this day and age?
    Any help on how to get this game backed up and running with Swap Magic 3 would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    XxXSebXxX

2. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

I donno! But all I did for Mercenaries is rebuild it and burn...Then play!!! Works fast and everything- I use Swap Magic 3.3

3. tryingit

tryingit Member

what do you mean when you say rebuild it ?

4. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Rebuild as in make the image smaller!! Instructions listed below...

Step 1.
    Decrypt the ps2 game to your hard drive using dvd decryptor.

Step 2.
    Open up Isobuster and load in the image file.

Step 3.
    Hold shift and highlight all the game files and put them in a folder.

Step 4.
    Open up Nero burning rom and create a new UDF/ISO dvd (It's the last one in the list). Drop all the game files into Nero in the same order as it is listed in Isobuster. Just keep Isobuster open as a reference when you do this. Nero will change the order of the files graphically, however they burn in the order that you dropped them in.

Step 5.
    Name the image and burn it at 4x.

Step 6.
    Presto, you've rebuilt and burned a PS2 game. Play it.

5. DyingIsis

DyingIsis Member

I don't wanna sound dumb but could you write me a step by step guide on how to do all of that cos I really have no idea what to do??!!?
    Cheers.
    XxXSebXxX

6. 2kwic

2kwic Guest

Really that is the step by step way..but i did mine with dvd decrypter, iso buster, cddvdgen and command prompt it took longer but hey it worked i wasted to many dvd-r with nero but Search thur the threads on how to do it if nero don't work for you well look here at WINN post http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/127255

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  7. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

what do you meant by your whole pc not running dos. Is your Pc using a Server OS? I know 4 sure that windows 2003 server still let you run DOS. Unless ur using Linux, apple or something like that.

8. DyingIsis

DyingIsis Member

OK I sussed it. Just waiting for the results now.
    I don't really understand though how rebuilding the DVD makes it work with swap magic cos it seems as though all you are doing is puling the ISO to bits and then putting it back together just as it used to be???
    XxXSebXxX

9. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I tried to patch this game but that didn't work. Is the patch only for the ntsc version as I have PAL. I am rebuilding it at the moment to see if that works, following the instructions above. Let you know how I get on

10. KRollie

KRollie Guest

Rebuild came to about 1.8 gig. Game works fine. Load speeds about the same as the original. Burned onto TDK at x1.

11. berty642

berty642 Regular member

Hi
    I tried patching this game also but couldnt get it to work.Any patches i could find were for the ntsc version but i am using pal. So i extracted the disc with isobuster and burnt it with nero and it plays fine although it is the same size as k rollie's at 1.8 gig.
    Can anyone tell me why the image is so small the original game is 4.37 gig?
    Thanks

12. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I read on another post that when it is rebuilt all the dummy files or files that help protect the game, are left out. All the game files are still there - so a complete working game.

13. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Why you all rebuilding this game, i couldn't find any dummy files or garbage files, so what's the deal?

14. steimy

steimy Active member

try searching the posts for the 100 other posts about this game and you will find your answer.
    There is a patch out there for Mercenaries that after you apply it will create a new ISO that you can burn, an it will work.
    And i have no idea why a computer would not run DOS? I have never owned one that didn't. My suggestion is to copy everything (the ISO for the game and patch) to a disc and find a friend who's computer can run DOS and burn it on his/hers

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  15. klbarnes1

klbarnes1 Member

I have a question about dos. When I try to burn Mercenaries and I try to combine the two star files 000 and 001 in dos I get a message that says the system cannot find the file specified. All my stuff is on my c drive and I know that the dos is in c prompt. Can someone please help????

16. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

DUDE, you DO NOT rebuild Mercenaries. You only patch with with the patch available at www.ps2nfo.com. THen burn it at the SLOWEST SPEED possible. And for your info, the rebuilding process (posted by a careless person) in this thread is for STARWAR BATTLE FRONT and not for this game. The dude just copy and paste the procedure w/o even care if it is going to work. AGAIN NO REBUILDING, ONLY PATCH>

17. steimy

steimy Active member

Rebuilding is not needed.
    But if you choose to, and do not have Nero for which there is a MUCH easier process of rebuilding. The same method used for Star Wars Battlefront can be used for any other game, that is why people just copy and paste it. but your file names will be different.
    But again you do not need to go through all that, just patch the game.

18. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

"if you rebuild it they will come"

but seriously,i dont call it rebuilding unless i have to replace a file or something like that(i would call it extracting the game).what you are doing is extracting the game files from the iso image.and the game files are usually smaller than the iso image(not always).this is better because your game size is smaller(so it plays better) and it is easier and you dont have to wait or search for a patch.you could use nero,cddvdgen,or other programs to do this.you could do this to pretty much all ps2 games(there are some exceptions).i dont know why the ps2 game files are usually smaller than the actual game disc size,my theory is they utilize free space as game data(but that is just MY theory)

i have swap magic 3.3 so i dont know if this works on earlier versions.but im guessing it should.

Last edited: May 23, 2005