1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there any real diffrence between [bold] DVD+R AND DVD-R[/BOLD] when choosing media for backups

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by eddE, Nov 17, 2004.

1. eddE

eddE Guest

I have noticed that no matter what type of + media i use it is always a 50/50 chance that the disc plays with glitches. i have a e-machine 2.6 celeron prossecor with 512 mem,120 gig hard drive,and a micro advantage dvd +/- rw/cd-rw superdrive , But its more like a 90% good to 10% bad with -r media does anyone know why i have so many problems with +r media?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What are you playing the disk's in?
    Stand alone player? What Brand & How old?
    In DVD Rom?

This info would help

3. eddE

eddE Guest

A samsung stand alone unit that is compatible with both media discs at least that what it says, dvd player is 1 yr. old. I've used fugi +, vertabrim+,sony+ they all are glitchy on playback

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well the reason I ask is because -R's usually play better in most DVD players you may want to try those.
    Have you tried playing them in your DVD ROM and if so how do they play in there? If the same thing is happening in your ROM then try slowing down the burn speed.

:)

5. eddE

eddE Guest

what dvd-r media do you have the most succsess with, by the way i use dvd dycrpter and shrink now seeing xcopy sucks

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

My Opinion (and I have backed up over 400 DVD's) is in this order
    1. Tayio Yuden
    2. Ritek
    3. Prodisc (use these the most because of price)
    4. TDK

I use DVD Shrink and Nero to burn. Decrypter and Shrink should be fine though.

Do your disk's have the same problem in your computer? Try a couple and see. It may not be the disk's could be the way your backing up. Let me know..

7. eddE

eddE Guest

have'nt had any problem when using shrink and nero but just start using that combo on last 10 or so backups , was using xcopy express and it wouldnt do it on pc but in dvd stand alone it would is xpress garbage. and if so do you think i could go back to + media or should i just stick with whats working.i use memorex dvd-r

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Again my opinion express is garbage compared to Shrink or Decrypter. If the disks play fine in your PC but not your stand alone player it is more than likely your player that don't like the disk's. Like I said before most player's like the -R's better, and usually the cheapest stand alone player you can buy at Wal-Mart for $40-$60 will play anything (go figure)If you find a Disk that is working for you with no problem then the best bet is to stick with that disk as long as you can. Whats the old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it"
    Check out my sight here I think it will help you a lot
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

Good luck :)