1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there any way at all to get my ps2 v1 to read dvd+r?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by lamprey69, Mar 28, 2004.

1. lamprey69

lamprey69 Member

I have a old V1 PS2 and was wondering if there is any way that i can get it to read DVD+R. Can I somehow get a chip or a new laser to make it read or am i S.O.L. in doing this? Please help...

2. lamprey69

lamprey69 Member

i know that my v1 will play cd-r audio cd's. I have a dvd+rw burner and have burnt onto the cd-r with it. Does this mean that there is a way to get it to burn a dvd onto the cd-r and then have the ps2 read that? I'm new to this whol dvd burning thing and just want to know what i can do or if i have to get a new ps2 whick is kinda out of the question at this time.

3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Nope, a v1 PS2 will not read DVD+R format blanks and there is no known method of modifying it to do so. Copying DVD games to CD-R's as you speak of is a concept known as ripping and results in a playable backup with significant loss of game data/features and unless you download these rips (which is against the rules to speak further of here), the only way to make one yourself is to download a rip-kit for the game you wish to attempt to do this with and can quickly become a very complicated discussion.

4. lamprey69

lamprey69 Member

will my v1 be able to play dvd-r or is that a losing battle also. I figured with the price of the -r burners, it might be cheaper for me to go that route. I also heard about the laser problem where they will strain and fail. will that happen if i try the -r's or would i just be better off saving up my cash and getting a new ps2 and unloading my old on on ebay?

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

A new PS2 would probably be the most reliable solution in the long run. The older ones do not read blank media very well at all. You're going to end up having to buy the top-quality media at all times and there's a good chance that the drive will fail sooner or later at that.

6. lamprey69

lamprey69 Member

if i get a brand new ps2 and unload the old one I would like to burn my old games and get rid of them. If i do this will i need a modchip for the new PS2 to play them and if so is there one that you know of that will work on the new ps2 and will play the burnt PS2 games in a dvd+rw format.

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The new v9 and v10 PS2's will play +/-RW discs fine, however, note that by burning your old games and getting rid of them would be piracy and is not condoned here. And yes, the new machine would need to be either modified or you would have to use one of the swap tricks available. There are Magiv V chips made that will do the trick very well on these machines.

8. lamprey69

lamprey69 Member

will that chip cause me any problems i saw a few things listing problems with omline play and chips. I don't do any online at the time but just waned to make sure that i don't run into problems in the future.