1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good idea or will it take years away from my recorder???

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by c2sellit1, Feb 6, 2005.

1. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I normally watch television through s-video cables, however if I hook my television up to my dvd recorder through the s-video input and use the component inputs on the television the picture is WORLDS BETTER than just with s-video. However in order to do this the I have to leave my dvd recorder on at all times, will this take some wear and tear and should I only use it when recording or will I be fine????

2. oldjoe03

oldjoe03 Member

by the time you could wear out your machine, something new and better will, no doubt, replace it any way.
    people have been doing this with their VHS VCR's for years.
    don't worry about it, enjoy it an be prepared to move on in a year or so to newer and better equipment

3. lpk

lpk Guest

I have been using my Go-Video vcr for over 5 years now as the tuner for my tv and have never has a problem.
    And I think there would be less wear and tear with the DVD than with the VCR.
    Luther

4. GotSilk

GotSilk Member

I think leaving it on will eventually create problems as the capacitors inside the unit may eventually create problems due to constant heating which can lead to leakage of the capacitors and cause problems. I am not a electronics technician, but I work in the broadcast field and one TV engineer said that leaking capcitors create problems with electronics. You might consider turning the unit when you turn off the TV. PS: Some of the posts that I've read suggest that overheating can be serious problem for DVD recorders so shutting down your unit will more than likely extend the life of your electronics as aposed to constantly leaving it on all the time

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005