1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a media problem..??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ramonesky, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ramonesky

ramonesky Member

I burned the same movie twice using Decrypter and Nero 6.xxx. Both produced a little goof-up at the exact same spot using...yeah I know...Memorex DVD-R's(4x).

Is this a shame on me for not using Riteks, etc..?? The rest of the disk was fine.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What do you mean by goof up? What is the media code of the memorex's?

3. ramonesky

ramonesky Member

I mean a sudden freeze..a pause...the picture produced squares...all I can tell is that the media is a Memorex DVD-R, 4.7 GB, disc....blue-colored sleeves.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

It sounds like a media problem. Find out what the media code is useing dvd identifier or dvdinfopro. memorex is one of the worst for having different supliers. You never know what you are going to get. A lot of times its cmc magnetics which is one of the worst. There are at least 4 suppliers for memorex. Bad media is the most common problem of freezing, tileing and pixelating. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 Ghz 512 MB PC133 Ram
    Lite-On LDW-851S f/w US0N DVDRW
    Win XP Nero 6.3.1.20
    DVDXCopy Xpress 3.2.1 DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink 3.2
    I know not too impressive saving my money[/small]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

6. ramonesky

ramonesky Member

Thanks for the information !!
    Lots more to learn !!

7. michigan

michigan Guest

1st thing to learn (which it looks like you did) is to buy good media, Ritek G-04 "branded" or Verbatim "datalife"

Welcome to the club.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've had very good luck w/ ritek dvd+r (media code ricohjpn01). One reason being I can change the book type to dvd-rom and burn them at 8x even though they are coded 4x. Lite-ons seem to prefer +r media type. I have had fairly good success w/ ritek g04's as well but they're quality is starting to vary from batch to batch.

9. michigan

michigan Guest

Gotta get the ones that are "branded" Ridata to get the good stuff

10. ramonesky

ramonesky Member

I did make a pickup of some Verbatim super data life -R's and they burned without any problems. I also did a little research and I am amazed at the differences of the disks(different brand types).
    Muchas Gracias for the help !

11. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

I would also highly recommend Maxell DVD-R discs as well. They are rated in the "1st Class Media" spot on http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm and for a good reason. I cpiked up some of the MXLRG02 last night (75 to be precise) and used 3 of them, ran error tests and speed tests all checked out PERFECTLY. Much less than I can say for the junk Kodak spindles they have on sale at Futureshop that I returned :).

12. Kutter

Kutter Member

It may not be the media. There seems to be a number of threads on various forums around the internet of people who are having errors burning movies with the combination of the Plextor 708A and Nero 6.

I am also having the same problem. The disks seems to burn fine, but when I get about 3/4 of the way watching the movie, I start to get read errors (happens on all my DVd players). I have tried about six different types of media and it happens with both DVD+ and -R's. I've used Kodak, Verbatim, Maxell, Optodisc, and others - still the same problem.

I post I read recommended to uninstall all other burning and "virtual disk" software and do a clean install of Nero 6. I haven't tried this yet.

To be honest, I was think of just ditching my Plextor 708A and buying a Pioneer 108D, since they are quite cheap. If the Pioneer works well, it would save me a lot of headaches...