1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a media problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ktf50box, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

Can anyone tell me if this is likely a bad media problem or incompatable player prob?
    Burn 10 title no chapters compilation with Nero on TDK+RW works perfect. Same burn on unknown +R reports disk error. Player is Philips DVDR70.
    Strange thing is, 1 title full movie backups with chapters on same +R media is fine :-/

Mot.

2. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

Found out how to check & unknown is CMC MAG E01 which I`m told is not so good?
    Is it worth trying better media bearing in mind disk plays fine on PC
    but not on standalone?

Mot.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Media quality is the first thing to check. Seeing as they are C-Mags, definitely try some better media.

Your pc should be able to play it's own backups,using the same drive that burned them. Stand alone's are another story. It could be:
    Media quality
    Burned too fast
    Wrong format
    Too Much compression
    Too large of backup target,4300 mbs recommended for this media.
    Week laser/dirty lens on that player.

That mfg code: CMC MAG-E01 is +8x media. Keep the burn speed at 2.4x max and give that backup a try on that stand alone.

What brand name and Model # of burner do you have?

4. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

It`s a new AOpen DUW 1608/ARR
    Burn speed was right.
    Disks show up in my Cybervision player but are bugy.
    Don`t use many disks so will buy a couple of singles to try.
    Which major brand is best to test with.
    I can get TDK + or - in singles.

Mot

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Try the TDK - dash format. After looking at list of TDK's manufacturing codes, the better ones are the dash ones. Some of the +4x and +8x's are cmags.Another member I am helping is using the TDK Cmag media.

Rw discs seem to be even trickier to play in some of those pesky stand alones, give those dash TDK's a shot.

6. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

I`ll try that & report back.
    My +RW`s that work ok are RICDHJPN W11 ?
    Reason I get + media is to also use on DDR70 as it doesn`t burn on - & spindle will last me a year.

Cheers, Tom.

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i have a good feeling it's a media problem...have you tried any authentic Taiyo Yudens lately? these are top notch and can be found locally under a different brand name ie. Fuji/Sony (MADE IN JAPAN) on the label of course. stay away from made in taiwan at ALL costs unless you are buying Verbatims, of which 90%+ will be made in taiwan, with a few made in singapores among them (old stock).
    Verbatims that check out from personal experience with the MCC coding are great, i have yet to run into a snag in terms of compatibility with these yet.

tdks are more of a coin toss, you might get good ones, you might not. maxells are another good choice i have used recently as well, in either dash OR plus format. as long as you don't do yourself a disfavor and go down in quality from tdk to memorex you are fine~ :)

hope that helps you out in terms of locally for good media. these aforementioned media can be found at best buy, compusa, staples, office depot to name a few~

if a spindle of 100 will last you a long time and you want to purchase online, may i recommend supermediastore, rima or meritline; just do a little price shopping after shipping is added in for the best value, these 3 online retailers all carry authentic Taiyo Yuden which in my opinion, are as good as it gets. :p

good luck to you

8. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

Bought some Maxell DVD-R. Burn is perfect :))
    Tried another C-Mag to make sure & it`s still kak.
    Thanx Saugmon, problem solved.
    How do they get away with selling this shit?
    Will they be safe for data backup?

Cheers to kivory666, I meant a 25 spindle would last a year LOL
    I feel such a lightweight on here ;-)

Now I need to find a thread to boost the volume on my mpeg2`s.

Tom.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That 25 pack would last me a week, LOL

That's what sucks about media, Hard to tell who makes that spindle that you buy. Different manufacturers for different quantities. I like the sony +1x-8x. Some are made in Japan: Yuden000-T02 and some are made in taiwan: SonyD11. They will be on sale and those spindles will be all mixed together. I just search those labels for made in Japan to get the sony ty's.

Data: I just do original dvd movies only because of my vast collection. I see a lot of referrals where members get some pretty crappy media and they are ok for data. I look at it as to how important that data is. The cheaper media is breaking down quicker too-inferior dye,many reports of breakdown under 6 months.

Good Luck and burn on buddy!

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ saugmon

HAHAHA..that 25 pack would last me a day at most~!!! a few hours is more like it. yea, call me crazy but i have 4 computers right now burning simultaneously 2 desktops and 2 laptops~ :) so, much like you, i only backup my VAST dvd collection as well, i use blank cd-r for my data~ hehe.

how big is your personal collection now saugmon, out of curiousity? i have a bit over 2,000 now give or take 20, i have an entire room dedicated to home theater, plasma setup and full surround sound THX quality~ im a bit excessive, but you only live once right?

@ktf

im glad those maxells worked out for you, they are great media~ i picked up a few hundred at the last office depot sale, only 3 spindles, but, hey, they are smooth as silk and i got the apple green tops so they're pretty too~ lol :)

good luck to you both and have a good one guys~ burn on~