1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this considered illegal?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Halen5150, May 26, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Guys;

I just recently became a member of a torrent site, and it seems like they've got a lot of great stuff; but it seems as though you are REQUIRED to share files because otherwise if your share ratio drops below 0.5 or something like that; your ip is banned and your account is automatically frozen.

So; I was just wondering--would it be legal for me to upload a Linux OS or something like that in order to seed and bump up my ratio? Or would I get in trouble. Also; while we're on topic; what would be a good thing to seed? [But remember; I want it to be legal to share; i.e.--not pirated movies, music, etc.]

Because this is a great site I found; and I don't want to get kicked just because I'm selfish...

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

A lot of torrent sites operate share ratios. Some torrent gurus consider this to be unfair, and against the spirit of Bit Torrent.

You may find this article interesting:-

http://n0id.hexium.net/archives/2006/02/74

Slackware Linux encourage people to share their distro via Bit Torrent.

3. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

Well.. im pretty sure the Linux OS would be illegal, i could be wrong.. But if i were you id switch to a better torrent site. That dosent seem to be too fair does it? I think Demonoid is pretty good.. not sure about the ratio thing. also Torrentspy.. they are awesome. Its not private. But itll do.

**removed by creaky**

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Are you for real? Can't you read?

Did you think I made that up?

Why did you think it is called "GNU Linux?"

5. RyuKonton

RyuKonton Regular member

Blackcats, no?

I got banned from there cause I had shit inernet and I coulnd't upload how much they asked for.

Plus they've closed registration.

Demonoid + BlackCats = :(

6. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

nahhh its not blackcats

7. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

You do realize whatever you are downloading, you are uploading.

8. revengine

revengine Regular member

I just try to upload at least as much as I download, and have no problems with share ratios, getting banned, or anything else.

9. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

sorry fellas, not thinkin straight i guess. Just didnt seem right at the time to legally distibute a free OS. I wasnt really paying attention to your post Indochine. Sorry. Sorry to Creaky too, didnt realize i posted something needing to be edited out =\

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Halen5150

This is the way I see things when reading this part of your post ....

Well if you want to stay legal as you imply, then what your downloading should not have any copyrights on it, so therefore you should just be able to upload what your downloading. Now correct my logic if I am wrong but it seems more than likely that you just want to download games, movies, etc. and just upload something benign like a copy of a Linux distro.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

So the idea is, let us say, that B1FF gets the latest Johnny Depp by "uploading" 55 GB of B1FF's home movies? I think (just) one flaw in that scheme might be that lots of folks will be wanting the Depp, compared to the number of folks wanting B1FF's home movies. You'll have to forgive me, (it's 7:30 AM here) if I've missed some essential feature. Of course, a Linux distro is more desirable, but still...

With torrents, you "upload" only what others want.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  12. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

BTW, is downloading/uploading game iso/backups legel? Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought download game backups you bought legally is fine. Therefore, no harm uploading either. I'm not familiar with the exact copy-right laws, so can anyone with some knowlege in this area enlighten us.

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well really the copyright/fair-use rules vary depending on were you go. But in general it is considered illegal to download games/.isos's, even ones you already own.