1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this dvd 9 feature a scam?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by wcpir8, Feb 26, 2003.

1. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

no DVD9 games out yet, how they test these chips for dvd 9 readiness?

and if it were dvd9 ready how would anybody take advantage of this feature as a dvd9 disc requires 2 blank disc to copy.
    The game is not going to ask for disc two, it's going to hang up.
    I am talking about all modchips that they say are DVD9 ready. What's the point?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]wcpir8[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2003
  2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

good point but I think that it may have something to do with the dvd movies though that wouldent make sence because you dont need a mod to play burned movies

I think that the mgs substance(japan version) is dvd9 but to play a back up you would have to rip it and then it would be on a dvd5 disc

so it really dosent make sence..I would like to know the answer to this too

3. satan!

satan! Member

I am assuming that it is the DMS3 you are talking about [or perhaps not].
    Anyway maybe this chip you talk of is soooooo advanced that they are preempting the release of a DVD9 Burner, after all with the MDS3 you can update it i think or something so perhaps to read burnt [burned?] DVD9 games you need a hardware solution not just an updated code... i dont understand most of what i'm talking about but it seems possible.

Also has anyone heard of DVD9 burners yet? Are they planned in future?

Hope i helped/confused...
    satan!

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

no dvd9 burners are not planned for any time in the forseeable future

the burners are only ment for comercial use and will not be sold to the public till a new way more efficient way fo storage is availible.

if you wnat to see how the dvd9 discs work with the doubble layers ect just check this out

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvd2.htm

5. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I am talking about all modchips that they say are DVD9 ready. What's the point?

6. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

From what I understand if you have a modchip installed that isn't dvd9 ready (for example magic 2/3) you wouldn't be able to play the original game that is in dvd9 format. Unless of course you uninstalled the chip everytime you wanted to play that game. Obviously if you ripped the game to dvd-r you wouldn't need a dvd9 ready chip. But remember just because your playing an original doesn't mean the chip isn't functioning.

7. FlyBy

FlyBy Guest

There are DVD9 Games out. There are very few. Xenosaga for example is a DVD9 Game.

8. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

even if dvd9 games R out,it can only be backed up on 2 disc, which would hang the ps2 cause it won't say "please insert disc 2." Only way i see is to rip it, so again i ask what's the point of the dvd9 feature?

9. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

And again I will tell you. Now listen close this time. Let's say you have a magic 3 and you are trying to play an original dvd9 game. It won't work. The only way you would be able to get that game to work would be to remove the chip from your system. Now let's say you have a magic 3.1 and you are trying to play an original dvd9 game. Guess what. It will work. And you won't even have to remove the chip from your system to play it. So I say again that is the point of the dvd9 feature. Also it is possible to make a 2 disc game. I've made a 4 cd game out of Resident Evil. Even if the game makers start putting everything to dvd9 I can't see that they could possibly need that much space for essential game files. They probably will just fill it up with movies and music like they do for the dvd's right now in which case it will make it very easy to rip a game from 1 dvd9 to 1 dvd-r.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  10. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

4 cds for 1 game? that's a tough pill to swollow. So how does that work? does the machine request each cd?

11. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

I'm guessing your not to familiar with multi-cd game rips.

The usual method is the ripper will have say level 1-5 on CD1, level 6-10 (for example) on CD2. You just save the game, boot CD2, load save and your off running again.
    And in some instances you can swap the CD (the rip of HotShotsGolf3 has been fixed so you can do this).

So go get some ripkits and backup ya DVDs.

12. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

oh cool. thanx