1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this logical thinking or not

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by kwhelan, Aug 24, 2003.

1. kwhelan

kwhelan Member

still new to this game but have sucessfully copied harry potter using dvdcopyexpress and was impressed with quality but after reading so many posts i have these few questions if anyone can help
    1,dvdcopyexpress reduced a 6 gig movie to approx 3 gig ,by default as there are no options for compression ,this is regardless of whether i chose movie or full disk with extras,(i checked)so with empty space on the disk logicaly using a copy program such as shrink that i can adjust and full the dvd-r up to its capacity i should get a better quality copy as there is less data removed?? will i see the difference?
    running harry potter thru shrink i see that the best it can do would still be aroung 73 % this is over the recommended compression settings as per most threads ive read,now i was quite happy with the picture output of dvdcopyexpress and the file size is way smaller and also then quicker to write ,

2, i like dvdshrink but really is it a one click solution ,i think as it doesnt write then it should really be classed as a ripper surely

3,have played with elby clonedvd and liked that too as a possible one click solution but i need a region dss remover for it,have tried dvdxghost and dvdregion free which didnt work with it, i have read that anydvd does but i am running win98 and its not compatible,is ther another product i can try that will support clonedvd

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink is a one stop transcoding program, no one says it does it all. Its not just a ripper like Smart Ripper, it also compresses and compresses well. 73% is probably fine, though on my 60" screen it wouldnt look the best, but generally, you wouldnt notice much difference over the original on a 28" tv.