1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this media good

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by IrishBhoy, Nov 2, 2004.

1. IrishBhoy

IrishBhoy Guest

Hi,

I am a complete newbie at dvd writing. I am getting a new PC next week and it contains a NEC ND-3500 16x dual layer dvd writer (you know if this is good)

Anyway, from looking at the forum it seems like there are lots of good media brands and lots of bad ones. I noticed that TDK seems a good brand and was wondering if these discs would be good ones to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11163&item=5134930354&rd=1

Thanks alot

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... In the ad you linked to it states the media code as TTG01 ... This is first class stuff ... I'm not sure what the price equals in Yankee paper, but it IS good media ya found there ! ...

3. IrishBhoy

IrishBhoy Guest

Hey,

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. In "yankee paper" it works out at $24.94 ($38.81 with postage)

Once Again thanks!

4. qetuo

qetuo Member

If this TTG are manufactured by CMC magnetics like the TDK 8X DVD-R, they are not top to me...

I had several problems with both my Plextor and Pioneer DVR-108 drives...

Many movies freezed at some point, and this is a pity from a TDK disc...

Their TY 4X were excellent!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

6. IrishBhoy

IrishBhoy Guest

Sorry to be a pain, but I am confused now with your differences of opinions.

Should I buy it?

Thanks

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... If you go to the link I provided, you'll see that the TDK media with manufacturer code TTG01 is listed as first class media ... I say that's good stuff ... You just want to avoid the TDK stuff that's manufactured by CMC Magnetics ... CMC makes good CDs and terrible DVDs ...

8. newbie999

newbie999 Guest

These discs are quite expensive due to the high postage costs try one of the online dealers there are plenty of TTs at the moment which are non TDK you should save some money

9. IrishBhoy

IrishBhoy Guest

Hi,

Thanks for the posts. One last question, is there any way to find out if these are TDK discs made by CMC?

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You should be safe. The ad states that the MID is TTG01. If they were cmc it would say CMC MAG. After you get them check the media code with dvd identifier or dvdinfopro. If they turn out to be cmc magnetics, you can demand your money back due to false advertising. If they are indeed TTG01, that is first class stuff.

11. IrishBhoy

IrishBhoy Guest

Hi,

Once again thanks very much!

12. qetuo

qetuo Member

Catfreak, even if the code is TTG02 it might still be manufactured by CMC...

There are many companies that allow the manufacturers to use their code, so that their products are more easier to be sold and keep their reputation...

For example this TDK TTG02, a large portion of the production is made by CMC and they use TDK code on these DVDs. Of course it will be their highest quality, but still remain CMC... (by the way I had some very bad experiences with these discs...freezing etc...)

The same is happening for some of the Verbatim products. Some of their DVDs are produced by either CMC or MBI (India), and they still use the MCC code.

So be aware!

For the MCC I think that you should look for "Made in Singapore" for genuine MCC quality. For TDK I dont know, as TDK itself might be producing a very small quantity of their overall production and mainly for Japan market.

Edit: I forgot to add RicohJPN, which nowadays is manufactured by Ritek Taiwan, although the media code reads RicohJPN01 or 02 (Japan).They are good discs though.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004