1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this ps2 capacitor burned?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by 16bit_lover, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 16bit_lover

16bit_lover Newbie

Hi, i have a fat model schp-30004 ps2 console.
    My problem was started a few weeks ago.My console was turning on but showing no image or sound, just black screen.But after waiting 5-10 minutes and pushing to the reset button was solving the problem and i was playing as normal.
    After that, waiting times started to getting longer and longer so i'm turning on my machine staying 2 hours as working and resetting but nothing happens just black screen.All my cables are ok,no problem with them.

I have some beginner level electronic repair skills so the problem looks like a blown capacitor to me than i disassembled my console and reached the motherboard.Before that i checked my power board it was ok.

I saw that a solid capacitor which was near to the power and AV output was different than the others.It has a yellow burn like dirt.So to say,it was burned inside to outside.I showed it in the following link with red arrow:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure this solid caps good or bad.Do you think it is blown or burned.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if it was blown, it would have split the top open & that is not a solid capacitor as it is the standard electrolytic surface mounted capacitor. that appears to be flux residue.

3. 16bit_lover

16bit_lover Newbie

Thanks for the reply,i will check smd fuses,maybe they are perhaps the problems.

4. pirasa

pirasa Newbie

Did you have your device modded?Some enthusiasts enjoy modifying the machine to give it the ability to play imported games. If the modification is performed improperly, it can cause a black screen. Restoring the unit back to the factory setting can fix the issue, but if a component inside the console was damaged during the modification process, it might be permanently broken.

printed circuit boards

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. ddp

pirasa, I see you are in Toronto. I'm in innisfil just south of barrie.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

who else can spot the obviously bulging cap in the first picture?.. it's not the one the op is suspecting :)

7. ddp

which 1 as I don't see it?

8. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

the one above the three fat ones.. to the right side top.. actually I would be suspicious of all the thin ones.. hallmarks of bad caps all over them.. green and tall.. the short fat ones are usually fine..

without checking voltages of rails it's not easy to diagnose a non starter.. my stock method is to replace any green skinny caps.. which usually works these days.. but honestly.. a ps2 is so cheap used now that it's hardly worth the time and effort..

Beginner level soldering skills?.. probably more likely to burn the tracks off the board.. .....