1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the result of bad media?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Tempot, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Tempot

Tempot Member

I have a strange problem. I just bought a brand new Pioneer DVR-111D Burner. Anytime I burn and image (doesn't matter what type of image), it burns fine the first time. Then I go and reload the image straight away after the first burn, attempt to burn it again, and then about a minute before it finishes, the cache just drops and I get buffer underrun error. I try it again, and sure enough, buffer underrun error again. So I go and reboot and the first burn after the reboot, works just fine. I go and do a second burn straight away, and again, buffer underrun error. No this only happens with the Sony DVD-R's I am using. I have used this media for years without this problem. I am using DVD-R's from 2 different 100 disc spindles. One spindle is half way done, and the other is brand new (just opened). I opened up a new spindle because I thought my first spindle may have been bad. So then decided to upgrade the firmware, but problem still persists. Here's the kicker. I have tried a few cheap Memorex DVD-Rs, and I don't have this problem. Pioneer's webpage says the Sony Media I am using is compatible with this burner. What do you people think. Could I really have 2 bad 100 Sony DVD-R spindles?

2. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I have the same burner and I only use Verbatim disc . Sony disc are very,very poor! The Sony CD's seem to be fine its just the DVDR's man they are junk.

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Oh yea Memosucks I mean Memorex is worse than Sony !!

4. Tempot

Tempot Member

Sony is considered High end media. I'm wondering if it really comes down to compatibility. If the media was bad, I shouldn't be able to burn any disc at all. I'm a little lost on this one.

5. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

If the Sony disc are made in Japan only. If they are not they are not high end. Buy a small stack of Verbatim DVDR- 16x and try the same thing you did with Sony's . I don't who told you Sony disc are high end but they are dead wrong.

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

If the Sony disc are made in Japan only. If they are not they are not high end. Buy a small stack of Verbatim DVDR- 16x and try the same thing you did with Sony's . I don't who told you Sony disc are high end but they are dead wrong.

7. Tempot

Tempot Member

Ok I will give the verbatims a try. Now I read somewhere on this forum to stay away from the verbatim 16x -R. Would it be ok to go with the +Rs. I'm sure my standalone can play +Rs. But I also burn for friends and family, so not sure if they would have problems with the +Rs. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I respectively disagree with rbrock, I've been using Sony DVD-R disks with three lite-on drives and have had no problems what so ever. Which program are you using to do the burns with, is your drives firmware uptodate? Firmware updates If you have Nero installed, please post a Nero log and we can dissect it and see what is going on. I've used the Verb 16X -R disks without problems, I only use the dash R disks due to compatibility issues with a couple of older DVD players I have access to.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  9. tennisboy

tennisboy Guest

yes i have used sony's many a time and no problems but someone is pretty much bound to have problems with any kind of disc

10. Tempot

Tempot Member

well it looks like it was a software issue. I used easy media creator and Nero, and both programs burn the sonys just fine. The one that was giving the problem was Disjuggler. Funny thing though, as I have always used Discjuggler for all my burning for a good 7yrs now, and have been using the Sonys for the past 2yrs. Oh well, guess I'll stick with Nero as my new burning tool.

11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Another possible cause of your woes, many members, especially the more knowledgable gurus of Nero report that Nero and Roxio often times conflict with each other when it comes to burning DVD disks. Binkie and Gwendolyn swear by this statement, please feel free to scan thru the Nero section and search for Roxio and see what pops up.