1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this true about slower pc...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wartin412, Aug 15, 2007.

1. wartin412

wartin412 Member

im new and hello everyone

is it true that if you have a slow pc (i.e Pentium 3 1Ghz) and you use dvd shrink to back up some dvd, will it be really that time consuming? more or less 12-14 hours... i,ve read the DMA guide and my settings were same as the guide says but still sometimes i have to wait for 12hrs+ just to backup a dvd...

and if i have stronger pc will it be less than the time im dealing with now?

thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you mean by 'backing up', ripping a dvd to the hard drive, then it should not be being used for that.
    If you mean compressing ripped files to fit on a standard DVD-5, then it should take no longer than the running time of the movie.
    Something's amiss with your PC.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  3. morguex

morguex Guest

That is not true, I used to have a p4 3.0
    I could rip, shrink and burn a movie in about 25-45 mins.

If your are re-encoding from say avi files to vob files, then yes it will take about 90-120 min's to do, but that depends how long the movie is your trying to make, the longer the movie the longer the re-encoding time will be.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'm using a P4 2.26 and can rip and burn a DVD in 12 min. If I have to recode a movie with Nero it will take 25-50min depending on the compression amount and size of the file to be shrunk. Something is wrong with you pc setup, especially if you have DMA enabled as you said and are not in PIO mode.

Edit: Is you pc loaded with spyware? Do you have adequated space on your HDD? Is your HDD completely defrag? Each time a dvd is recode or ripped and is automatically erased after the burn, it leaves a drive more fragmented. I always defrag after every burn session, When was the last time you emptied all those System restore files by simply disabling SysRestore and then enabling it again. Amazing how much XP consumes in HDD space with all the restore points.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  5. wartin412

wartin412 Member

yes ripping it to my hdd,sometimes it takes that long,wonder why..
    thanks

nope just backing-up, maybe you said is true the longer the movie the longer it takes to back up
    thanks

i have spybot search and destroy, avg free, etruzt antivirus...i have a 160GB HD 7200RPM, sometimes if lucky i have to wait for 3-4 hours,,and yes i usually defrag my HDD every week..so maybe my pc is old and need to be replace *sigh*
    thanks

6. attar

attar Senior member

Don't use DVD Shrink for ripping, it hasn't been updated for years.

DVDFab HD Decrypter
    Run program, insert disk, select 'Main Movie' or 'Full Disk'

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Use DVD Shrink on the output.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  7. morguex

morguex Guest

When you are ripping a DvD, what is the rip speed?
    Let me know

8. killalot

killalot Active member

How much memory has your pc got and how much is free when you’re ripping the DVD to the hardrive? Windows xp needs min 64meg min just to load then its sluggish recommend at least 256 or 512 Meg right click my computer and select properties tells you there

9. wartin412

wartin412 Member

thanks attar

i will check it thanks

256MB only

10. wartin412

wartin412 Member

ok i manage to rip dvd's in 30mins or less,here's my another problem:
    when i'm encoding(128 KB/s) it using DVD Shrink 3.2 its taking too long about 18hrs to encode a DVD? is that allright or my pc has some real issues?

thanks again

11. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

wartin412,
    Your P-3 1-ghz w/ 256 rqm is where the problem is as the processor can do the movie but it will be really slow. Now 12 hours does seem a little long but it might be right for the system you have. If you have the $$ then you really do need to buy a new faster unit

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

CarMike's got the answer- I miss read your original post thinking your processor was a P4 3.1 instead of P3 1Hhz. Upgrade to faster system.

13. wartin412

wartin412 Member

oh i need to save up to buy me a powerful pc...thanks for the replies people

wartin412