1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is using dark alex the best way to mod a psp?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by merk10, Jan 4, 2008.

1. merk10

merk10 Guest

i am a noob and i have several questions regarding psp modding...
    is dark alex the way to go?
    and what does dark alex do?
    i am only looking to play downloaded games,, and i dont want to mess with the battery. what is the best way for me to go.

2. PsPn1

PsPn1 Member

yo
    uhm what firmware is your psp?

3. merk10

merk10 Guest

its a 3.71 and it is custom
    wat is m33 mean also?

4. Atlantica

Atlantica Member

Dark Alex is not the what you use for playing downloaded games. Dark Alex is the programmer (he is a person) who first managed to hack the psp so all of us can use the psp to our liking.

anyways. Yes his firmware ( the hacked software he created) is the way to go. it is the origanal and so for the most popular and you will find the most support for it anywhere.

3.71 is the official sony firmware (software) 3.71 M33 is Dark Alex's hacked version. if you have 3.71 M33 in your system information you have a psp with custom firmware

5. merk10

merk10 Guest

how do i get from a 3.71 to a 3.71m33? is there anywhere i can go to get more information?
    thanx.

6. Atlantica

Atlantica Member

The only way to get custom firmware from 3.71 without tampering with a battery is by having another psp that has 3.71 M33. if you dont have another psp that has custom firmware the only way to get M33 is to get a "pandora's battery" . i know you said you didnt want to do this but its the only way.

however, you can actually buy pre modded batteries on ebay that are alreayd hacked so you dont have to do anything but insert in into your psp.

7. drakex

drakex Regular member

8. Atlantica

Atlantica Member

Right, sorry, I guess i didnt elaborate on the fact that he needs to actually mod the battery. i dont always recommend this though. its so easy to accidently touch those 2 pins together rendering the battery dead. thats why i suggested buying one from ebay.

9. drakex

drakex Regular member

I know but I have learnt from my own inexperience that ifyou want to do something you will try anything, so if going to ebay to buy a MODDED battery is worth it, I guess he can as well give it a try, a low valued battery hard modded by himself... so no worries, I dont recommend it neither, but will is strongest, so if I can help him do what he wants, even risking a battery I guess its worth it.

10. merk10

merk10 Guest

so if im actually looking to only play downloaded games i need a pandoras battery?
    and can i downgrade my 3.71 firmware to a 1.5

11. GhoStDeth

GhoStDeth Member

yes you need the pandora's to downgrade to 1.5 then from there you can upgrade to 3.51m33 then 3.71m33

12. drakex

drakex Regular member

Or use version 3 of the pandora to go directly from 3.71 to 3.71m33-2 you can download it from www.dark-alex.org

Good luck!

13. don010

don010 Guest

yeah pretty much everything those guys just said

instead of the universal unbricker v3 you can download the totalnewbi easy installer

it does all the work for you
    its a 100mb+ file but its worth it
    go straight to 3.71m33 no updating

hope i didn't confuse ya lol

14. PeeEssPee

PeeEssPee Regular member

LOL. If you think about it, we do use Dark Alex :p

15. bernash

bernash Member

Ide be carefull buying a psp battery off ebay, theres lots of fakes, I got the MAX POWER 3.6v 1800 MAH, 2 for 15.00, These can be easily converted to pandora battery, I got 4x sony psp battery, 2 were fake, Its well worth searching carefully, I also got a max power PSP Battery Service Tool, Great little tool converts the battery without a psp, At the touch of a button

16. brobinson

brobinson Member

17. chiqano13

chiqano13 Guest

if i have a pandora's battery can i use it for several things like playing my psp or listen to music with my psp like the normal battery???or it's just a battery that using for downgrading a psp????and what a about if i have a magic mem stick can use it for several uses or it's just use for downgrading a psp????

18. drakex

drakex Regular member

Depends, if you HARD MODDED your battery, than NOT, if you did it via software, there is a way to get it fix, but otherwise you cant use it for that, only for downgrading.

19. chiqano13

chiqano13 Guest

ok dude thx....by the way your are the one that post in to my topic didn't u?

20. chiqano13

chiqano13 Guest

oh hey......!!!!what are the minimum memory stick for downgrading>>???can use the 30mb mem stick or not?