1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is uTorrent safe?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by 2sweet4u, Jul 5, 2007.

1. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

someone was telling me that the person who created uTorrent cut a deal with anti p2p companies..and that i'm begging to get caught if i keep using it? i'm curious because it seems to work the best out of all other clients i've tried.. (i get maxed out speeds, and it reports to my tracker very accurately)

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The gist of it is that Bram Cohen, who created the Bittorrent protocol bought out utorrent back in December (I think) and has associated himself with the MPAA but has said there is no conflict of interest (I beg to differ). There has been no evidence that any deal was cut and you'd have to be a fool to buyout utorrent and ruin it and that he's not. He has said that Bittorrent was not created to distribute illegal copyrighted material and this is only my opinion but I think utorrent will be a vehicle to download legally acquired files. Anyway, you can read more here from the utorrent forum but I believe it contains profanity if that bothers you: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=17279s

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  3. gary431

gary431 Member

My UTORRENT keeps on trying to email out. I have The internet police trying to get past my PG2. Use a different bittorrent client such as Halite. That is what I have done.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yeah, my uTorrent tries to email too. uTorrent claim it's a bug, I just have it blocked by my firewall!

uTorrent is by far the best. Run it with Peerguardian and you'll never have to worry about the MPAA\RIAA

5. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Are you guys sure we can get caught using utorrent...??

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Like I said, he'd have to be a fool to incorporate any kind of backdoor into utorrent but if you're concerned use 1.6, build
    474 (the last before Bram Cohen bought it) and disable automatic updates at options>preferences>general as the thread states. I still use that version and it works great; maybe even faster than later versions but that's probably in my head.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  7. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Belive me if the mpaa/riaa want your IP they can get it

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  9. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

thanks for the responses, i downloaded uT1.6 :)

10. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

torrents are the most un-secure of all the p2p networks( for downloaders)
    the protocol was designed to reduce the risk to the torrent originators.
    But, this lack of security is a trade off for the wide-spread availablity of "what you want"....with the theory that there's safety in
    sheer number of peers.