1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Vista Worth It?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jazo132, Feb 20, 2007.

1. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

I just bought a new HP laptop about 7 months ago, and I was just wondering if it's worth it to buy Vista for it. What are all the new features in Vista and are there any big bugs in it?

Thanks,

Jazo

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Read the thoughts on vista thread. Big bug.. well drm, no drivers, resource hog.. do I need to go on?
    Stay with XP.. or even better, upgrade to some open source software.

3. AXT

AXT Guest

The answer is yes, if you have a pc that can run it. But it's still better than xp even if you don't. all you really need is ram, about 1gb of it which can be purchased for as cheap as 65 dollars for a pc. A little more for laptop ram. But you can still run it just fine on 512mb. And you really don't need windows aero, but it's nice to have. I mean come on, us computer users have gotten by just fine without aero so i don't see why people complain about not being able to use it. Basic vista is still better than xp. If you buy a computer from an OEM then you should have no problem running vista. If your like me and put together your own computer you might have some driver issues like i did with media center. But it's nothing you can't easily fix. As far as bugs go, i personally have not run into any.

4. spudgun77

spudgun77 Member

I would run the vista upgrade advisor tool to see if it is compatiable first, I myself personally would not buy it just yet, I would hang on a couple of months and wait till a few more bugs are ironed out and more drivers are released. There is already a service pack in waiting in the pipeline for vista.

No doubt vista is the way forward for microsoft users, but just like the arrival of XP there will be a couple of teething problems to cross now it is has entered into the public domain.

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Funny, most of my colleagues and fellow minded IT folks seem to think that Vista is several steps backward in security, and one step forward towards losing control over your own system, and your choice in software use.
    So in short : not worth the disc it's printed on, let alone the ridiculous amount Microsucks asks.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I heard a lovely quote in a pc shop today.. It goes like this

"People who go on about how great vista is have their head stuck so firmly up Bill Gates' ass I don't think even modern surgical methods can retrieve it"

I can't be bothered thinking of a better way of putting it. I'm already laughing at the people who have installed this nasty "deny yourself your rights" monster, and are having all sorts of problems. Don't come crying when you can't copy a cd, or a film, or listen to downloaded music.. It will be your fault.
    Just because something is new doesn't make it "the best" It just makes it new. And how many times does "new" mean "untested and very probably faulty?"
    I'm waiting for the first really nasty exploits to hit the wild.. with no antivirus it will be great fun..........

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  7. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

yes because starting this year you have to go to vista because several problems are going to happen to xp users

1. no new direct x direct x 10 is vista only sucks if your a gamer

2. adobe flash player will soon face the same fate vista only

i have vista home basic and i like several of the features what i hate is tha darn security system that asks do you want to run this app do you want to allow this program to connect to the internet do you want to run the internet

this is nuts

my recommendations

1.go to mac os x using the osx86 project

2.go to linux

at least apple and linux wont mess you over

8. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I'll just stick to XP until some of the bugs are ironed out.

Thanks again.

Jazo

9. nckspec

nckspec Regular member

I have vista and it is actually very worth it. Its much more easy to exit non responding programs, it will tell you if there is a newer version and will give you a link of a program, and there is easy updates for hardware. Also if your into games there is going to be some sweet features like you will be able to play with gamers on the xbox 360. But before u do I greatly suggest you download this program from windows.com that tells you what to upgrade. So if you want to get the best experience out of vista you should use that advisor.

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You can turn off the UAC in the User Accounts section.

Currently, I am diving into the world of Vista Ultimate (full version install)... have to since I help others with PC issues for a living.

As it sits right now....it's stable. But,..I just broke the horse in, I haven't taken it to the track yet.

11. bkim

bkim Member

I would not recommend getting Vista just yet.
    Many of my friends have been having problems running programs, playing games, and has been locking up on them for no reason.
    It feels too much like Vista has control over your computer, not you.
    I would wait a couple months until the service pack comes out or something.

12. Slippster

Slippster Member

ok well, heres what Im doing-

I built my PC and what I decided to do was dual-boot with XP.
    I have 2 hard drives in my box.
    one has xp the other has vista.

now it IS possible to put em BOTH on one hard drive-
    partition first using partition maghic or whatever app you use for that task.
    youll need to have at least 20 gigs free for vista in that partition.
    that way you can go back n forth between the 2
    and testout, compare and contrast.

what really disses me is when it blue screens.
    and that I cannot use the nvidia profiles to have brighness automatically set when it boots up.

i have to manually reset the brightness and gamma EVERYTIME i boot into vista.

gaming? DX10 rocks. I play UT2004 and i cant complain at all.
    im using a geforce 7800GS AGP and running the 100.65 vista drivers.

also- some of my wma files (songs) sound like the volume limiter is running even when its "off"

so that bothers me as well.

drm whatever the hell it is-
    runs (task mgr) when the wma file runs- even tho I removed the drm stuff! ( drm removal tool)

so i dont know man.

for more info on vista try keznews.com
    its in league with what you guys do here.

in short id say WAIT-

oh almost forgot!

I have a dvd drive that has LIGHTSCRIBE.
    HP unit, and even thos THEY SAY it works under vista-
    vista cant find the drive under lightscribe software.

and im running Roxio which works ok so far, havent tried to burn any disks yet but the program installed with zero hassles.

like XP- when it came out-
    its early in the game and all the players arent on the playing field yet.

I cant think of anything else to say.

bottomj line - if youre a gamer like me- dual boot and go for it-
    enough of the program works for daily stuff- surfing the web-
    playing games-
    listening to music is a mixed bag tho.
    anmd nvidia profiles wont load on startup

other than all those issues vista os .......so-so

im not WOWED. IM LIKE WTF? WTF IS THIS?

its XP in whore makeup.
    but when you wake up in the morning its still XP on the inside.
    just redone over with a new facia and half the stuff you like about XP taken away.

and i dont have a sound card so im not going thru all THAT hell.

ik sure horror stories abound.

well thats all I got. for now.

Have Fun-

Slippster

13. Slippster

Slippster Member

one last thing-

if you do dual boot-
    youll probably want it to boot into XP first-

but by default it boots into vista as the first choicer after install.

to fix this download Tweak VI and go to the boot loader section and you can change the default 1st boot system back to XP
    and you can even set how many seconds you have to make the choice.

I use 4 seconds. that way, if im boot-time defragging with diskeeper,
    it reboots right back into XP with zero hassles!

have fun whatever you choose to do!

Slippster

14. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Well....after a bit on the track, the horse has broken all but one leg.

Horror story too long to post.

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well Morph, i'd hate to say "i told you so" so i won't.
    But i will ask, was it as much fun for you now as it was for me 4 months ago in the testing phase ? ;-)

16. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

I think some bloggers described Vista perfectly:

"Windows Vista is Microsoft's suicide note to the world."

Burn.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  17. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's a very fitting description indeed. :)

18. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I've been throwing more things at it then you could with the betas...in fact, somewhere in my old pile of CDs...I still have 4074!!

Of course....I was bound to find something that would break it. Now..trying to find the culprit, is another thing all together.

19. ireland

ireland Active member

READ MORE ON VISTA HERE AND SEE IF YE MADE A MISTAKE ON BUYING VISTA OR USING VISTA..AS I DO KEEP THIS THREAD UPDATED..
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/308662

SIDE NOTE: I have vista home pro on a hard drive i liked vista so much i pulled the hard drive and installed my dual boot xp-poop crap hard drive and windows 2000 back into the computer.
    note i was a vista beta tester,and vista is spyware for microsoft and the movie studios..you do not own vista as ye will see when ye read the article i posted below..

THAT WAS THE BEST THING TO DO WITH VISTA,AS TO PUT THE VISTA HD IN MY TO THINK ABOUT LATER WINDOWS 95 BOX..FILED UNDER CRAP..

Microsoft can activate Vista even if it doesn't need to

It's blinking amazing

By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 28 February 2007, 19:54
    SOMETIMES, it appears, that you might be asked to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which activation wasn't required before.

The problem "rarely occurs" says the Vole, but might happen if you install a device driver, install a program, run a new program or remove a program.

So far the problem seems to be confined to Vista machines, but if it starts happening to XP machines because of the WGA, be sure to let us know.

Here is the Volish note.below

It is like walking through narrow corridors in Byzantium we are given to understand. But luckily we've never walked through narrow corridors in Byzantium. In the meantime, here's a pic of Al Gore a reader mocked up for a us a year or two back while you contemplate your Vista perambulation. µ
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37917

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 931573
    Last Review : February 15, 2007
    Revision : 2.1
    On This Page
    SYMPTOMS
    CAUSE
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem if it has already occurred
    To prevent this problem
    Windows Vista
    Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems
    STATUS
    MORE INFORMATION
    SYMPTOMS
    You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required. Although this problem rarely occurs, it may occur during typical use of a Windows Vista-based computer. For example, this problem may occur under one or more of the following conditions:
    • You install a device driver.
    • You install a program.
    • You run a new program.
    • You remove a program.

Back to the top
    CAUSE
    This problem may occur because a specific system setting is removed when a program runs with administrative credentials. The removal of this system setting may cause a BIOS validation check to fail. The BIOS validation check is part of the system activation process. Therefore, you may be prompted to activate Windows Vista, even though the system did not previously require activation. For example, this problem is known to occur when you use Intuit QuickBooks 2007. However, this problem may also infrequently occur when you install other programs or device drivers.

Note This problem does not occur because of an issue in the installed program or device driver. This problem is caused by a system problem in Windows Vista.

Back to the top
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem if it has already occurred
    To resolve this problem if it has already occurred, use one of the following methods:
    • If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have not used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then restart the computer.
    • If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then activate Windows Vista by telephone. For more information about how to activate Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    925616 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925616/) Error message when you start Windows Vista: "Your activation period has expired"

Back to the top
    To prevent this problem
    To prevent this problem, install update 931573. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
    The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
    Windows Vista
    DownloadDownload the Update for Windows Vista (KB931573) package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5549C98D-421A-4F77-97F3-4E82A4D6471B)
    Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems
    DownloadDownload the Update for Windows Vista for 64-bit Systems (KB931573) package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C4BC5D31-3CEA-4992-84D7-334D29580EF1)

Release Date: January 30, 2007

For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    119591 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119591/) How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
    Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.

Back to the top
    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

Back to the top
    MORE INFORMATION
    For more information about how hotfix packages are named, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    816915 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816915/) New file naming schema for Microsoft Windows software update packages
    For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    824684 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/) Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
    The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

Back to the top
    APPLIES TO
    • Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows Vista Starter
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Vista Enterprise
    • Windows Vista Business 64-bit EN
    • Windows Vista Business
    • Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
    • Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
    • Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573/en-us

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  20. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

500 bugs on release day....

499 more to go!

We ended up taking her out with a single shot to the back of the head...

"Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal" BSOD...

(This behavior can occur if there is incompatible hardware or an incompatible device driver on your computer)

Yeah...no kidding!!

Vista...may she rest in peace... (or at least until SP1's super potion might be able to raise it from the dead)