1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Windows XP SP2 safe?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nflp, Nov 2, 2004.

1. nflp

nflp Guest

I'd read some troubling things about how SP2 makes DVD Shrink and other software not work right. I use Shrink and Nero and Rebuild now, is it safe to put SP2 on my system or should I avoid it and stay where I am?

2. sagara

sagara Member

i use both of those programs, i have SP2

3. antons

antons Member

Nero 6.3.1.25 - winxp-sp2 -> All OK
    DVDDecrypter - winxp-sp2 -> All OK
    DVDShrink -> winxp-sp2 -> All OK

Used sp2 for about 50 disc's, no problems so far.

As a system administrator and computer engineer I would recommend sp2 for added security.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

It is for the great masses of unknowledgeable users, which describes 99 out of 100 people.
    It is possibly a good thing, in the great grand scheme of things...
    But it will not be found on my PC until all the shareware/freeware/greymarket programs of dubious ancestry are updated over the next few months with SP2-compatible versions!
    But honestly, the typical user is so dopey about security that something like this had to happen.
    It is Micro*oft's 'tough-love', y'know?
    But yes, plenty of non-compliant software still.
    L8R

5. antons

antons Member

SP2 should be fine for you combination of software for backupping DVD's. But you might have problem with other software... If that happens, you should be able to uninstall sp2. So, Install sp2, try all you software, if it fails, look for update, if you can't find any, uninstall sp2 and wait for update for that damnnnn... software. Hope this helps.