1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is x86 the same thing as 32bit?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Severeth, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Severeth

Severeth Regular member

I have a Pentium 4 processor with HT. This is surely a 32bit processor. I am looking for the Vista version best suited for me. I found one that states x86 32bit. is this the one I need? Would the 64Bit work without a 64 bit processor? If it does work will there be allot of problems finding 64 drivers? SO final question really is the version X86 going to be fine with the pentium 4 HT system?

2. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

X86 refers to the Intel processor architecture. All Intel processors, apart from there very early releases, are based on the X86 architecture.

32-bit and 64-bit refer to size of memory addresses and data units in the two different architectures. 32-bit architectures use units that are 4 bytes wide will 64-bit architectures use units that are 8 bytes wide.

64-bit Operating Systems ONLY run on 64-bit processors.
    Your processor could not run a 64-bit OS.
    Ignore X86.. its meaningless as practically all modern processors are compatible or equivalent with X86 architecture.

For your processor any 32-bit version of Windows Vista would be compatible with it.
    However it also depends on the rest of your specs, (RAM, Graphic Card, etc..).

Post your specs and we'll take it from there.