1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Xeno GC any good?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by HG27, Apr 19, 2007.

1. TopAce

TopAce Member

NeroGC just checks the DOL file if it will boot and it then it pads it up to 1.35 GB. I will burn with IMGBurn. I heard bad things about Nero and Gamecube games also. I don't have the full sized case, I'm just going to make a test disc and run it with the case off to see if it works before i waste a mini-dvd. I figured if I buy 50 mini-dvd's and split it with my friend, it is around $12.50 a person.

2. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

yeah mini-dvd's aren't cheap. I've saw 3 for $10 at wal-mart. At first I was wary of the full sized case, and I thought, Man ! this looks weird, but now I think it's cool.

3. GCalgebra

GCalgebra Member

Ok, problem...

I am having trouble re-naming .gcm files to .iso files. I downloaded some 20 gc's in all, and the only ones that work are the ones that originally came in as .iso's. the ones that i renamed, I am getting a black/white rolling screen. the roms have to be good, because dolphin runs them just fine... Here are what I'm running:

GC version C
    Viper GC mod chip
    2 differnet brands of Mini DVDs
    Nero Image burning software

suggestions???

4. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

The black and white rolling screen means it's PAL , and you are probably in the US or Canada, the Xeno chip is supposed to have a region selction by holding either x button or y button at start up, but I never got it to work look here http://modthatcube.pxn-os.com/main.htm
    I have Mario Kart Double Dash that's PAL, and the region select dosen't work for it but when the game starts it asks 50 or 60 Hz, so I had to navigate the rolling screen to pick 60 for US.
    I never had any luck using Nero to burn GC games. So I use IMGBurn, and it works great. Under the settings tab you can make it see both .ISO and .GCM , thus you don't have to rename them.... Dolphin would run them fine because computers don't discriminate between PAL and NTSC signals.
    but if you're downloading backups, go for USA and NTSC not PAL.
    hope I didn't confuse you too much
    best regards......

5. TopAce

TopAce Member

6. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

well I've read that they were a good brand,alot of people use that brand with sucess, but I don't know from personal exp. I've only used full sized HP DVD-r (like in my pics above) but hey! They were on sale at staples LOL! I mean I was going go mini-dvd until I started thinking about $.
    I read a few threads where people were saying to use +r .

I just got the Scummvm emulator working from SD card on my cube.

7. 754boy

754boy Member

You hold down Y. But it doesn't work for all PAL games. PAL Mario Sunshine still booted up in PAL. Hulk Ultimate Destruction gives a black screen when trying to force NTSC mode. But I didn manage to get PAL 1080 Avalanche and Minority Report working great. I wonder if there is a compatibility list for this.

8. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

Well, if there is a list somewhere, I haven't found it yet. I know Luigi's Mansion PAL dosen't work with it. It's good to hear that somebody get the force region option to work. I was starting to think that maybe it wasn't real. Just out of curiosity, what brand of TV are you using? I got a crappy $60 Wal-mart , Durabrand which is NTSC 60Hz ONLY.

9. 754boy

754boy Member

I got mine from Wal-Mart too but paid a bit more than $60 lol. Its a Phillips though which is better quality that Durabrand.

10. luckgh0st

luckgh0st Guest

well what isn't better quality than Durabrand LOL!
    I'd really like to get a multi region TV. I used to have an old RCA that would display PAL PS2 games with no prob but I don't have it anymore.
    also everyone beware of PAL > NTSC converters for game consoles. I have one for PS2, and when I used it, instead of the b/w rolling screen with no sound, I got a rolling color screen with sound... so I called the place that I ordered it from , and they said that I needed to adjust the vertical hold knob, which I don't have. I even E-Mailed Durabrand. They weren't any help though.........

11. TopAce

TopAce Member

Is it possible if I get a backup of an action replay disc to be able to use it without an action replay memory card.

Basically what I'm asking, if I download action replay and burn it, will it work without having any of the other crap that comes with it?

12. 754boy

754boy Member

Yes, it will work just fine. But you're gonna have to have a memory card in slot b. I put my old MC 59 in there cuz I wasn't using it for games anymore due to its pathetic 59 blocks of memory. But it holds a ton of AR codes.

13. TopAce

TopAce Member

Great. I have 2 memeory cards. I can use my same old mem card 59 as well. I just beat Resident Evil 4 on the computer already and do not feel like starting from scratch again...