1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.iso and using dvdshrink...huh?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by googoo, Jun 10, 2004.

1. googoo

googoo Member

you know...i think i've read every post and i'm still confused!!! :) i have a 6 gb .iso file in a folder and i want to use dvdshrink to compress it so it fits on a single disk...been reading the fourms for awhile, bought and dl'ed the right gear (plextor 708a, dvddecrypter, dvd shrink, verbatim dvd+r, nero 6.whatever) and have had some success (coasters were made :( )...but the aforementioned issues really bugs me......help please... :)

oh....the movie was converted to .iso by dvddecrytper...how can i open an .iso in shrink.....

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

open shrink, open file, browse to iso, open iso.

Shrink will rip to your harddrive as well so if you want you can cut decrypter out of the equation

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Before looking for the file with Shrink's "open files" browser, click on "file" and select "Open Disc Image" from the menu first. You can also open Shrink and use a keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+I.

4. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Just out of curiousity why are you using Dvd Decryptor on a DVD9 disc? It is much easier to just open it and encode with DVDshrink.

5. googoo

googoo Member

thanks for all the responces...still pounding this out...the reason why i am using dvddecrytpter is to make it into an .iso file...can dvdshrink do this?...the reason i want it in an .iso file is i have had ZERO luck burning those nero showtime files...tried it once and made another coaster (grrrrrrrrrrr)so now i avoid it...my sucess rate has been like 40% since i started backing up all my disc 2 weeks ago...i'm trying the suggestions as i type...mucho thanks to all !!!! :)

6. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Yes Shrink can do ISO files and then burn them using decryptor. From what you describe this sounds like the best bet for you.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Toshiba Satellite
    P4 HT 2.6 Ghz
    1 Gb PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    NEC Nd-1300a External
    0 to Burn in 22 Minutes

DVD Collection - http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/roeod4[/small]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

googoo'
    Sounds like you are doing things the hard way. If you just want to make a backup, and you have Shrink and Decrypter, let the programs do the work for you.

Put your disc in and open it in Shrink, let it analyze. At this point you can remove un-needed audio and sub-pictures. Select Backup! Choose ISO disc image as a target and check the box to launch Decrypter to burn the output. Make sure your blank disc is in the burner. Select OK.
    Shrink will open decrypter and burn the disc when the encoding is finished.

Thats about all you need to do.

8. googoo

googoo Member

hmmmmm....let me tell you guys what i did (oh by the way, bashing me is allowed...even I would think i would have a grasp on this by now)...i started to burn all those nero showtime files by putting them in the video_ts (or whatever its called)file in nero...now its burning away (yes...it is currently burning while i am typing this...not very smart i know)...is this at all currect...? will let you know what happens either with a gleeful smile on my face or in a straight jacket...:)

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The Showtime files are your video files. Are you using Nero Burning ROM to do this? I assume you are. The deal is that you are doing it manually. Shrink can open Nero to burn for you as well as Decrypter. There is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it, it is just easier to let Shrink handle opening the burning program.

The easy way to get all those files into the compilation:

Once the files are in the right window, Right click on them. From the menu that appears, choose "Select All". Right click them again and choose "Copy to Compilation".

10. googoo

googoo Member

hey guys...thanks!!!!!!!! everything is a-ok now!!!! you helped tons!!!!!!!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds like not too many people enjoy the nice world of ISO files. Yes there is an excellent reason for using these files. For one, the file can be checked with a viewer if there is a problem with the burn. Case in point: I was using an older movie and got a faulty rip. A couple of scenes stuck. After checking the file on HD, I knew where the problem originated. The ripped file, not the encoder or burner. Resurfaced the disk, got a good rip and all turned out good.

Another reason for using ISO is that they can be utilized by a vast array of recording software. An added freebie is that once the file is ripped to HD, the file transfer rate is faster and the disc drive gets a rest. In fact with some programs, I can decrypt and run the recording program faster than recording on the fly.

After this long lead up there is only one word to tell you how to use the ISO files: [bold]Emulator.[/bold]

This user mentions Nero. Nero has the ImageDrive program for loading image files (ISO). As a personal preference, I use Daemon (a freebie off the net). ISO files have to be loaded into an emulator program. Then they are read as a disc program. The Shrink command would be Open Disc and then choose the simulated drive with the ISO file. Shrink will open the same as a disc drive. The decryption segment is eliminated and the analysis is quicker because the files are on HD (so not much of a time loss).

Decrypter is a good decryption tool. Using Decrypter as a burner is an exercise for just saying it can be done. Good decrypter, troublesome burner when there are so many better and easier ones to use.

Really though, if you're using Shrink, the easy way is to let everything run in auto (Shrink decrypts and encodes) and let Nero burn. Shrink won't handle the ISO files unless you use the emulator as I mentioned [bold]edited:(The newer version, 3.1.7 of DVD Shrink now has the ability to handle ISO without an emulator)[/bold]. If you want the file on the HD, which I like to have, decrypt and load to the emulator and treat as a disc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2004
  12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Shrink can open an .iso without it being in an emulator. You can rip the .iso to a hard drive folder. Open Shrink, then Ctrl+I or File-> Open Disc Image...Browse for the .iso.
    You lose the advantage of having the image mounted in the emulator though... I think.

Cheers,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

fastfrank,
    I have DVD Shrink version 3.1.5. I have a few ISO files on my HD where I have been recording. Just to check what you were saying I opened Shrink.

[bold]edited: Have found the differences with the newer version of Shrink, thanks all. The latest version of DVD Shrink handles the ISO files without the emulator. Though I still prefer the extended options available with an ISO loaded in an emulator. Being able to view the file through the dvd player software is an advantage not to be overlooked and there are other advantages to using emulators.[/bold]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2004
  14. Veblin

Veblin Active member

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks there Veblin and fastfrank. I had been using an older version of DVDShrink and have updated as I should have sooner. I will edit the previous post accordingly.

16. jskrypa

jskrypa Guest

Not completely related, but it sounds like you guys know what you're doing and I've been confused about one aspect of burning DVD's.

When I have decrypted a DVD and removed the files that I I am not interested in (or if I have created a set of files from a cam corder) and placed them in Video_TS and Audio_TS folders exactly as they appear when I browse a working DVD, but attempt to write the files directly to a DVD using Roxio for example, the DVD dowsn't play on my standalone DVD Player. (often it WILL play on my PC DVD player though).

If I take these same folders and use DVDdecrypter or another DVD authoring tool to burn the DVD , it works on my standalone DVD player. I've even tried using a few tools to create an ISO image from my files, then burn the ISO file with roxio with no success.

So my question (and while I haven't perhaps done enough research, I have spent a few hours reading everything I can find online trying to figure this out) is why can't I burn these files directly, and what are these other tools doing that doesn't happen when I write these files directly? Again, my only problem is getting my standalone DVD player to read them (now I get an error message when I load the DVD). (BTW the DVD player is about a year old JVC XV-N40 that plays DVD-R's very well).

17. brobear

brobear Guest

I'll give you the short simple version: The DVD player requires opening and closing info besides the video input. The necessary info is added through the encoding and burning process. Decrypter is a ripper and sometimes burner, it only burns what it is given. Use the specialized programs for doing particular jobs. You're on the right track, just need a bit more research.

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

All DVD players are designed to play DVD-Video files that are recorded in a format that meets the DVD specification requirements established a few years ago by the DVD forum. By conforming to this specification a recorded DVD will play in all players.

The files you remove may still meet the specification, however when you remove a file that file structure has changed. A burning program like Nero can reallocate the remaining files so that the structure remains intact and DVD-Video compliant.

The definition of Lead In is an area at the beginning of a disc or session containing the TOC (Table of Contents) and other important information. There are files in the lead in that will tell the DVD player that it is a DVD and to proceed to the data area.

The Lead Out is a buffer area that tells the player to stop playing if it reads past the data area.

A couple of other interesting things on a DVD:

The Burst cutting area is that bar code area you see near the center of some discs.

The PCA is the Power Calibration Area of a recordable disc that is actually used by your burner to establish the correct laser power level for recording on a particular disc. This is a 15 step test initiated by the burning program, controlled by the burner. The data generated by this test is stored on the disc in the PCA.
    This is the area right before the lead in area and a lot of coasters are created when this test fails. Most burners feel obligated to burn the failed test results on to the disc as near as I can tell, ruining the disc.

I'm just trying to expand a bit on what brobear posted, to emphasize that certain things must not only present for the DVD to play in a player but the content must follow strict structure requirements as described by the DVD specification. Yipee!

Cheers,
    Frank

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Some very good information there frank. This Newbie might be interested in checking out the InterVideo website. http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp I'm not saying to buy anything. A person can browse around and learn a little about different programs for video recording; i.e. for VHS transfer as well as the viewers and DVD movie recording. There are even some full function trial programs. The Nero site is another informative site to check. The Nero Platinum is one of the better complete DVD and CD recording packages.

20. jskrypa

jskrypa Guest

Frank & Bear -

Thank you both. Frank, that explains alot and makes sense. Bear, I'll spend some time at that site.

I appreciate both of you taking the time to respond to my question.