1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO/Memory Card Question

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by algtz1, May 15, 2007.

1. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I am trying to get into the PSP Modd scene and I have a question. I noticed that most of you save game isos on you memory card and play the game on your psp off that. I was looking on line and found some isos but noticed that most of the games are anywhere from 500megs to 1gig each. Now if you have a 2 gig memory card how pratical is it if you can only potentionall have about 4 iso games on your memory stick with the space alloted. Am I missing something hear? Is there something that is done to these raw ISOs before saving them on the memory stick? Any feedback is appreciated.

2. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

There are basically 2 ways for making the iso smaller.

The easiest way is just a iso compressor. It coverts iso into cso (compressed iso). It usually saves you about 200 mb, and there is no effect on game play. (small amount of games do have glitches when compressed.)

Another way is to do a "rip". It gets rid of anything that's not essential for game play. As in it takes out movies and musics from the original umd, and then recompile everything back to iso. This will usually leave you with a game with very small size.

I personally go with the cso way. I like to enjoy games as they were meant to be, with all the bells and whistles. But then again, I have 8 gig ms, and have the luxury of memory space.

3. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Thanks blackvamp
    So in CSO mode your looking at compressing isos down to about 200-600 megs for an average game then. So you may be looking to fitting about 16-40 games in an 8 gig memory stick. How much is an 8 gig mem stick run.

4. backupguy

backupguy Regular member

man you need some english classes or something

5. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I thought this was a forum not English 101.....What can't you comprehend?

6. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

the size depends on individual game. I have DJ Max 2 cso that's ~ 1.4 gig.

I have two 4 gig card. total of 8 gigs. Fake 4 gig ones go as low as $40 including shipping on ebay. 8 gig ones will probably cost you more than your psp :)

7. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I see, You mentioned fake ones. Does that mean memory that doesn't work because the memory itself is fake? Or are you talking about a fake name brand of memory?

8. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Fake ones are counterfeit stick. They look exactly like the original ones, and work exactly like them too. They were made the same way as the original, except with inferior material and quality control. So fake ones are always a little bit slower than the authentic ones, and a handful of them do fail. However, MOST of the fake ones can play games one psp exactly like authentic ms because of the fact ms are so much faster than the umd. So the difference in speed of the fake and authentic doesn't matter.

There are couple of threads just about fake memory stick. You can search for them.