1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO? or Files to Hardrive?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Krazyfoxx, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Krazyfoxx

Krazyfoxx Member

If my questions have been posted a hundred times I apologise, but my search efforts came up empty.

OK, a little backgound. I've been using X-copy (express) for a while now, and until recently I've been able to backup my movies with little problems. When I decided to backup my Farscape Season 1 episodes I couldn't make a usable copy, so I decided to try Shrink. After reading a couple guides I attempted those same discs again and they work flawlessly. I love this program and my only regret is not trying it before I spent money on the other.
    The first guide I read recommended using Decrypter with shrink and creating an ISO file. I ran into problems with this method because of FAT32 so after a little more research I went with copying files to hardrive and it works without a hitch. So, my first question is what advantages, if any, is there to using the ISO method vs. coping files? Is there a difference in speed? quality? compatibility? Thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Interestingly, I ran into a strange problem with DVD Decrypter just yesterday. I tried to rip one of my Farscape discs in ISO mode, and 3 times in a row I got a strange error (don't ask I didn't write it down) and the DVD-ROM locked up. I could still read from it, but I couldn't open the tray until I restarted the PC. Finally I decided to rip in file mode and it ripped every file without any problems.

This is obviously a little different since I believe Shrink does things differently since it actually reads the content of the files instead of just the encryption, but it's still interesting.

4. Krazyfoxx

Krazyfoxx Member

Ok, thanks for the info.