1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.ISO questions

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Jessica99, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Jessica99

Jessica99 Guest

Hey I have an .iso of a game, can I burn this directly to a DVD or do I need to do something to it first. Also what is the difference between an .iso and a .mds?

I have alcohol 120

Thanks for any help

2. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

You can burn it directly to DVD.

The .MDS file is a small meta file that contains description information about the associated ISO. The .MDS file contains the layer break (for dual-layer backups) as well as other helpful information regarding burning. It is not an ISO file nor can a .MDS file be converted into a ISO. You must have the ISO; however, you can usually have an ISO without a .MDS file. When burning, I always burn from the .MDS file if there is one. Choose the .MDS as a matter of habit.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  3. Jessica99

Jessica99 Guest

Thanks Orthogonl,

So what your saying is an .iso and a .mds are the basically the same except if i had to choose an .mds is better?

4. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

The .ISO file is the image file (an exact digital replica of a DVD, whereby all of the data is stored in one file to completely preserve the data structure and integrity of the DVD).

The .MDS is the corresponding 'catalog' file. Software such as Alcohol 120% reads this catalog file so that it knows how to burn the .ISO file.

Basically the .MDS contains information for DVD burning software and tells what .ISO files it should burn to the DVD disc, in which way and in which order, etc.

So yes, if there is an .MDS file, choose it when burning. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007